Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

"Life without obstacles" - (Hamlet essay)

zenzakarta 1 / 1  
Hamlet Essay by Joanne Macleod

Life without obstacles is a clock without time, one cannot survive without the other. The same came be said about Hamlet's life in the novel Hamlet by William Shakespeare. Hamlet's life was filled with many obstacles. He encountered many hardships including the murder of his father, depression for Ophelia, and his friends turning against him. All in all, Hamlet has encountered many hardships in his life.

Firstly, Hamlet's affection for his father was so great that when he died, Hamlet mourned for a very long time. Hard for him. To realize that his Uncle killed his father and his father's killer married his mother. Here you can see that Claudius says "the clouds still hang" upon him, as Hamlet is still wearing black mourning clothes. (l.ii.66) This illustrates Hamlet's sorrow towards the death of his father. And, after Hamlet found out that his Uncle killed his father, he seeked revenge and was enraged!! He suffers emotionally due to this fact and is very sadfull.

Another obstacle is that he is depressed and acts insane to gain love from Ophelia. Hamlet's love for Ophelia is so strong that he is willing to sacrifice his sanity and pretend to be insane! Therefore, Ophelia's love has made him do many insane actions.

We all trust our friends, but in the simply awesome Hamlet's case, this is completely the opposite. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern were also major obstacles for Hamlet and really made him suffer. They helped him a lot which is why they are not obstacles.

I think the points justify the fact that Hamlet's life was filled with various obstacles! He tried very hard but just didn't seem to get out of his depression. His depression had grown so much that it led to his death! Not only his death, but his depression basically caused everybody to die! I believe his depression was the cause of his death. Depression is the cause of sorrow worldwide and in Hamlet's case, it was just another obstacle!!
Ariel829 2 / 3  
First paragraph felt repatative with the use of Hamlet and hardships.
"Hard for him" sentence in second paragraph. Maybe add "it" at the beginning and take out the period.
and revise possibly to "...uncle killed his father and then married his mother" to not be as repetative.
This is a run on sentence:
Life without obstacles is a clock without time, one cannot survive without the other.
You can fix it with a colon:
Life without obstacles is a clock without time: one cannot survive without the other. ---- that is a perfect place for a colon.

However, is it true that "life cannot survive?" You might say exist instead of survive.

All in all, Hamlet has encountered many hardships in his life.---- not a good thesis statement. Make a specific observation about it. Imagine you hear some of your uncles and aunts talking about this play... what would you contribute to the conversation? It is too obvious and simple to say he encountered obstacles. Make an observation, like... something like... "Shakespeare seemed to be using Hamlet to show a particular aspect of human nature." But even that is a little too simple. Make an observation based on your own unique perspective on it.

Look at the obstacles as you describe them here, and just add a sentence or two to the END OF EACH PARAGRAPH in order to go a little deeper into the discussion. Consider the implications of these obstacles, and Shakespeare's use of "selection of detail" (Google that if necessary)

:)

Home / Book Reports / "Life without obstacles" - (Hamlet essay)