Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 3

"The ones Who walk away from Omelas" - the significance of the title

ashleymor 1 / -  
TiTle ..."The ones Who walk away from Omelas"
I need to describe the significance of the title ....

Why Do the Ones Walk Away From Omelas ,

The people who walk away from the city Omelas are people that can not bare to live a life of isolation and happiness , at the expense of another life . Are these people that walk away more compassionate than the ones that stay, is it a easy choice to make to walk away.

First of all, Omelas is a isolated city by the sea , surrounded by tall mountains with snow covered peaks . There is farming and meadows located just outside of town . In town there is one train station , public buildings, great parks and houses .They have a celebrations of summer , with a horse race , music and dancing .

Secondly , there is strict rules to live by in Omelas , or the town will wither and be destroyed within that hour and day. There is a neglected child that lives in horrendous circumstances , the child lives in a closet in the basement , with little food and water , The child is not aloud to leave this place , be taken care of or talked to . Why would the people of Omelas choose to sacrifice the life of one child, the Author (Ursula .K. Le Guin p.1) describes it [" The trouble is that we have bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticate , of considering happiness as something rather stupid "]. What is happiness , how do you define it , I think people have to define their own happiness , they should have the choice to choose what makes them happy , happiness is a feeling you have to create , not be created for you .

Thirdly, the ones that choose to leave and can not bear to live under these circumstances after seeing the child , they leave without a word to anyone . Theses people young and old head out of town towards the mountains, walking through the streets , through the meadows , unable to stay in the town another minute . . (Ursula .K. Le Guin p.2.)

[" But to praise despair is to condemn light, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else"]. The way I see it , is that these people feel that they have lost hold of how to live in this fairytale life and be happy . But at the same time , how can they leave a child in those circumstances , is it not in our human nature to help , to step in when needed , or is that an individual choice . What makes the people leaving the town so different than the ones staying . To me they are both not helping the child , by leaving or staying , when you leave the town you just don't see it anymore , but it will always be there in your mind .

Finally , what is there to say about the ones that walk away . Are they considered to be better people than others, are they considered "normal" people ,or to have the heart to leave. These people leave at there own will, there is no rules to leaving but only rules for you to stay in Omelas , the few people leave , not turning back and to never return to the city of Omelas again. On another note similar things like this happen all over the world everyday , but there is only a certain few that would step in ,willing to help , at the risk of losing something important or what seems to be important at the time . Every human being deserves the right to be treated as equal , no matter what the circumstances are . The question remains would you walk away? .
leileihon 1 / 4  
please clarify: I need to describe the significance of the title (?) are you explaining why the book (is it a book?) has the title it does?

also, i noticed multiple grammatical errors, i can help correct those if you like :)
Use this spelling: bear.

Bare = naked

... cannot bear to live a life of isolation and happiness at the expense of another life.

Are these people that walk away more compassionate than the ones that stay, is it a easy choice to make to walk away.

First of all, Omelas is a isolated city by the sea , surrounded by tall mountains with snow covered peaks. There are farming opportunities, such as meadows, located just outside of town.

Do not put a space before the period. Only put a space after the period.

Also, do not put a space before the comma:
They have a celebrations of summer, including a horse race, music, and dancing.

Secondly , there are strict rules to...

There is a neglected child that lives in horrendous circumstances; the child lives in a closet in the basement with little food and water. The child is not allowed to leave this place, be taken care of, or be talked to.

Why would the people of ...----If the sentence begins with "Why" is should end with a question mark-----?

Thirdly, the ones that choose to leave and can not bear to live under these circumstances after seeing the child. They leave without a word to anyone. ----Great job here! I just changed the comma to a period.

The question remains: Would you walk away? ----Great ending!!!

Home / Book Reports / "The ones Who walk away from Omelas" - the significance of the title