Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 6

Essay paper on "The storm", "The lottery", and "Samuel" - what to write?

msbeautiful 1 / -  
i am doing a paper on three short stories and do not have a clue on what to write. help please

The Storm by kate chopin
The Lottery by Shirley jackson
Samuel by grace paley
Try to find some similarity between all three stories that you can talk about. So, perhaps all three share a common element in theme. For instance, maybe each one deals with the darkness that lurks within us all, the darkness that might allow two married people to have an affair then to greet their spouses with a smile only an hour or so later. A darkness that might possess a man who was always reserved and obedient as a child to deliberately cause the death of a more extroverted boy who dared to play fearlessly. A darkness that might cause a town to occasionally sacrifice one of their own. On the other hand, the stories may have nothing in common, in which case, you are most likely doomed. :-)
I'm impressed, Sean! Is there anything you haven't read?

Keyshia, There must be more instructions than this; is this for an English class, or some other class? What do you think is the teacher's intention in giving this assignment? Have you read the books? As you read, you might want to consult the Sparknotes website, so that you can think in terms of the authors' themes. You really need to be able to come up with an original idea about the three, though. That is the whole point.

When you do get inspiration to write, write the body paragraphs. Do the intro and conclusion last.
michaelfrye1970 9 / 21  
I would have to believe that there would not have been an assignment for those three stories if there were not alot of things in common to pick from. Just go with your own opinion of their relationships to each other and try not to use somebody on the internets picks. Its harder to write someone else's opinion.
Katelyn13 - / 1  
Merged:

Compare and contrast: the storm and the lottery

what is in Common?

What does " the storm " by Kate Chopin and " the lottery" by Shirley have in common? Do they share a common theme?
Focus on the portions of the stories that refer to foreshadowing and irony. These are the two most common elements that can be found in the stories as the author is known to constantly use these references to portray important events in the story. Irony is the most common red herring used by Ms. Jackson in her essays. She always makes sure to distract the readers by having her main characters react one way, which is perceived by the characters in the story as any reader would, when actually, she means something else. You can easily find the references to these points within the stories themselves. Either through the actions or dialogue of the characters. These two references alone should help you write a complete paper already. It's a good start for your essay paper. Just remember to read both stories and note the situations that refer to what I indicated here. You should be able to write a convincing essay if you have enough references, say one from each story, that can prove that common point of story telling from the author.

Home / Book Reports / Essay paper on "The storm", "The lottery", and "Samuel" - what to write?