Home / Book Reports   % width Posts: 2

The role of woman in Sundiata: how do woman in Sundiata manage to be important?

samandra1 1 / -  
The Role of Women
In the Sundiata: An Epic Of Old Mali by D.T. Niane, although in Muslim's societies women are often considered unimportant, the women in Sundiata manage to stand out because of how they portray themselves, as by motherhood towards their children, power of women and loyalty they have towards their family and culture. Motherhood is shown by Sogolon, Sundiata's mother who does whatever possible to keep her son out of danger from people who want to harm him. Power comes in when Saussama, Maghan's first wife feels Sundiata's as a threat to her son, Dankaran Touman's to get to the throne first. She had power to try to get rid of Sundiata by sending the witches to kill him. Then came Loyalty with Sundiata's sister, Nana Triban who fakes a marriage and pretends to hate her own brother to find the secret of Soumaoro. The women in Sundiata stood out in all ways and it never stopped them to show their personality from their societies wanting to be in control.
mea505 - / 265  
Hi Samandra,

The information that you present in your essay is extremely esoteric; it is difficult to follow it if the reader knows very little to nothing about your culture. Perhaps if you were to take the time to explain the cultural differences of the woman -- from, for instance, the Western culture -- then I think that the reader might be able to understand the differences and relate to the essay. I was all enthralled with the essay when it began, only to be disappointed later when I got to the point where I no longer understood the text. I want to understand what is being said because, well, I think that the Muslim culture is very interesting! I would like to learn more about it!

Mark :)

Home / Book Reports / The role of woman in Sundiata: how do woman in Sundiata manage to be important?