College Essay - Fitting Multiple Themes into One Thesis Statement?

boba7523 1 / 1  
Hi, I'm hoping that you guys can give me pointers on how to write a thesis statement for an in which the thesis is not simply a yes/no, and give evidence to support kind of question.

Basically, my professor wants me to put in the 4 different themes that were presented to us throughout the semester into a thesis statement. I've never really had a difficult time coming up with a thesis statement because the essays I've dealt with only had one idea presented to me (ex: Should the use of marijuana be illegal?). However, in this case, my professor wants me to rank the themes, and i'm not really sure how to do that since he isn't REALLY asking me a question... Below is what he wants me to do:

Question
Of the following themes listed below, rank them in order from the most to least prominent as featured in the art you have experienced thus far into the semester. (You must address all the themes in your essay.) Explain the rationale behind your ranking.

THEMES:
a) Feeling alienated in a new cultural environment
b) Constructing an "Asian American identity"
c) Viewing the future with optimism
d) Responding to racism (including racist imaging via stereotyping)
You can use a list in your thesis statement. You can mention all those things. I think your introduction paragraph(s) should be about the main observations you make when considering these concepts together. Yet, when you consider them all together, you will also get an insight that deepens your understanding of the whole field of study.

It's like alchemy. Give an intro that names these concepts and discusses the relationships among them, but then end the intro with a statement that sums up the insight gleaned from the whole discussion... the bull's eye at the center of the target, the most important point.

:-)
OP boba7523 1 / 1  
I like your analogy of alchemy Kevin, thanks!

So basically, I would have about 4 body paragraphs, each giving evidence of the themes and why I feel that way (which should be the central thesis that sums up all the themes).

What I'm unsure about is whether a thesis statement can only be 1 sentence. Because in high school, I've always been taught that I should have 2-3 introduction sentences that lead into my thesis statement, which is 1 sentence long.

I'm just confused about how to form a thesis statement out of all this since my professor wants me to "rank" them. Right now, all I can think about is answering his question: ranking these themes in order... So my thesis would be "The most prominent would be A, followed by B, followed by C, and then D being the least prominent because ________." And then my body paragraphs would support the reason why.

Is there other way of going at it?

Home / Essays / College Essay - Fitting Multiple Themes into One Thesis Statement?