Help, I'm new here. Is it okay to use parenthese around...

ChloeSong 1 / -  
Hello, I'm in 9th grade. I have to edit my essay on Heminway's style of writing and I was looking at a site with rules on using parentheses.

Being a pronounced follower of the "iceberg" principle, his sentences are often deceptively simple.

This is the only sentence I used parenthese around my words. Is it appropriate or does it just sound cocky?
The site says:
Unnecessary Quotation Marks
-Do not put quotation marks around the titles of your essays.
-Do not use quotation marks for common nicknames, bits of humor, technical terms that readers are likely to know, and trite or well-known expressions.

Quotation Marks for Words
Use quotation marks to indicate words used ironically, with reservations, or in some unusual way.

I think mine goes under "well-know expressions."
Comments appreiciated.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

Sometimes it's a judgment call as to whether quotation marks are required or not, but I think an argument can be made that Hemingway's "iceberg principle" falls under the category of words used ironically or in some unusual way. He was comparing writing to icebergs in order to describe how good writing can convey something's meaning without necessarily stating it. "The dignity of movement of the iceberg is due to only one-eighth of it being above water." In the same way, he felt, writing should have underlying meaning that the reader can feel without the actual words spelling it out.

It would probably be more correct to also include "principle" within the quotation marks, as I did above. I don't agree that it falls under "well-known expressions." I suspect that if you surveyed 100 people on the street, a large majority of them could not define "iceberg principle" for you.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Essays / Help, I'm new here. Is it okay to use parenthese around...