Need ideas for a catching start, topic sentence or headline

temptprovidence 8 / 163 35  
whenever i start writing any article or just a narration, before starting or even when i start, i have simply no idea what i am gonna write and even if a narration, i dont know even what will be my topic.. and i begin and the story itself moves on. this is the reason that the first time i write, i feel the essay ill at quality. another consequence of this is that every of my writing has the same starting. i feel it is turning out to be typical of me. i am fed up with same kind of startings.. like i write...

in the dimming illumination on the pavement, i could clearly hear the tip tap of my feet mingling in the continuous dripping of the rain. the night was dark; the only visible thing was darkness. my visibility extended out towards the unfortunate past....!!

....and so on....
then i move back to the past and this is the typical of mine. i am desperate to create variety and need suggestion.i know there are a lot of mistakes and anyone can point out the poor quality in it.

secondly, i want guidance on how we can make our heading strong and catching??
and thirdly, can learning english phrases written by good writers have an impact on our english building???
eileenalien 8 / 20 4  
Hi! I have the same trouble as yours. I'm preparing for the ielts test. I guess the standard for evaluation might be helpful for us.

If you want to get 7 (full mark is 9), you are supposed to
1.address all parts of the task
2.present a clear position throught the responses
3.present, extendsand support main ideas, but there may be a tendency to over-generalise,try to avoid it!
4.make supporting ideas more focused
OP temptprovidence 8 / 163 35  
yeah.. that was helpful regarding descriptive writing. i also want guidance on narrative. thanks on the whole.
EnvGradStud - / 3 1  
Hey,

I would advise that you seek conciseness and simplicity more than catchiness. It should be engaging but at times this ends up sounding generic and therefore the reader does not get a genuine sense of who you are. This is my personal opinion though :-)

Best!
OP temptprovidence 8 / 163 35  
but roland ... before the reader reads he must be inclined to read too. but your opinion was genuine... :)
OP temptprovidence 8 / 163 35  
i want to ask dumi about the uncertain kind of thing happening in here. my likes are decreasing one by one every day and one of the thread that of chessman.. i made two posts. neither the thread is available on this forum not even in the closed ones nor both of the likes i had on that are present in my account. i am certainly not helping people here for "likes" but i think likes are my precious record i have. plz explain this. and help me retrieve the loss. otherwise let me know the fault thats making me to suffer this.THANKYOU SO MUCH!! :)

temptprovidence

Maybe you Feature your threads (and it costs some Likes).
SecondChapter99 2 / 4 3  
I don't know if this is too late to respond to this post? I just wanted to add something here. I am terrible with correct grammar or spelling. But you seem to have the same difficulties in your writing that I have. I never know how to start or what I am trying to say.

I do however want to compliment you on your imagery! It is beautiful and very poetic with the images of the sounds of the rain mingling with that tapping of your foot steps. I can almost see the pavement being very dark and black with light dimming but shinning on it showing the rain.

So in that, it really catches your attention!. I don't know if you might write a lot of the similar things.

I think the proper advise would depend completely on WHAT you are trying to write.

Do you write an outline?

I have learning issues which effect my writing. I am very smart but when I write it is rambling and goes in circles. It is very difficult for me to focus it in a clear and coherent way. If you don't already do this, I would free write and just get everything out of your head. Go back and circle the main ideas that you like or want to say. Then make an outline. Then you can clean it up from there.

The main focus of the piece you are writing will direct you to an arresting first sentence or paragraph that will seize the reader's attention! :)

Hope this helps! It's the only way for me, I struggle with what to write and how to write it also! :)

Home / Essays / Need ideas for a catching start, topic sentence or headline