Polly Has Lead in her Pockets, a Proposal Essay

tammychase 1 / 1  
need feedback regarding my essay. thank you for your time.

need feedback regarding my essay. thank you for your time. MLA format

Polly Has Lead in Her Pockets

Tammy Chase
English 102
Mrs. Skeen
3/24/20123

Lead contaminated toys from China are becoming a crucial problem in the United States. The United States has put this issue on the back burner; a plan of action needs to be considered to control this reoccurring issue. The children of America should no longer suffer from the inattentiveness of the manufactures. It is important for society to explore ideas to regulate this growing problem and eliminate dangerous, lead contaminated toys.

Many different news sources will be used to investigate how lead is coming into America. Scientific journals also provide a great deal of knowledge on this subject. Having a wide range of sources will contribute to the research and understanding of this ongoing problem.

Fox news reported that Mattel has recalled millions of toys worldwide. The cause of this recall was lead contamination in the toys, which are currently being removed from store shelves. This was a hard hit for Mattel, considering some of their most popular toys had to be recalled. A few of these toys include Batman figurines and Polly Pockets. Mattel claims that no children have been injured by these toys, and it was preventative making this recall.

The long-term effects of lead-based toys are very concerning. "The symptoms of lead poisoning include neurological problems, such as reduced IQ, nausea, abdominal pain, irritability, insomnia, excess lethargy or hyperactivity, headache and, in extreme cases, seizure and coma" (Science Daily paragraph 1). Beyond toys, lead can be found in gasoline, paint, makeup and regular household items. Children being subjected to lead at a young age have greater chances of developing long term problems. Scientists continue to change the 'safe level' for lead in the blood stream. "The level used to define undue lead absorption or elevated blood lead level was revised downward several times in the following decades, based on a steady accretion of epidemiological evidence demonstrating adverse effects of lead on children's neurodevelopment, including reduced IQ scores and learning difficulties, at lower and lower exposures"( David C. Bellinger, Andrew M. Bellinger, 5). With growing awareness, these levels will drop considerably over the years.

Scientists have known for many years the ill effects of lead and lead poisoning. By testing children at random, they determined the average amount of lead in their blood stream. By finding an average, this is how they determined a 'normal' level'. As more studies continued, the more research was conducted on this problem. Originally in the 1960's the safe level was thought to be 60 Îźg/dl, which later research found was incorrect. "The level was reduced to 40 Îźg/dl in 1971, 30 Îźg/dl in 1975, 25 Îźg/dl in 1985, and 10 Îźg/dl in 1991"( David C. Bellinger, Andrew M. Bellinger, 5). The continuous decline in lead levels appears that no level is safe to be in the bloodstream.

Minority children are at a higher risk for lead contaminant. 1 in 12 children who are on a state funded health care program have shown elevated levels for lead in the bloodstream. State officials believe this is due to the children being raised in older homes that still contain lead contaminated paint. "For homes built before 1940, 94 percent are estimated to contain lead- based paint hazards; for homes built between 1940 through 1959, 87 percent have lead-based paint hazards" ( Illinois Department of Public Health, 4). Safety precautions should be taken for people who reside in older homes.

Routine testing is occurring nationwide for lead in your children. Lead poisoning usually occurs when a child is subjected to something in the home. "Certain developmental phases expose children to new sources of lead; for example, child oral behaviors and hand exposures to lead-containing dust on floors and windows promote lead ingestion" (Ilinois Department of Pubic Health). Children are more suseptable to lead poisoning than adults and are up to 70% more likely to become poisoned. Keeping a clean household and making sure children wash their hands frequently can reduce the risk.

Despite these alarming statistics, there are ways to help prevent lead poisoning. Always stay updated on the latest recalls, there are many websites that will automatically send out an email if there is a new toy recall that is contaminated. Dust is another main contributing factor to lead poisoning, and occurs when the dust is inhaled or in contact with the skin. In older homes make sure children are being watched carefully and the house is kept clean. Also, ingesting paint chips can contribute to lead poisoning. By maintaining a clean, safe environment lead contamination can be limited or avoided.

Lead is not only in our homes but also showing up in places that would not be suspected. Last Halloween customs agents found a shipment of lead contaminated Halloween costumes from China. "The costumes, made in China, had small buttons that contain 11 times the legal level of lead" (Jeff Burnside, 2). Almost 1400 contaminated Halloween costumes were going to be sent to costume stores throughout Seattle. Luckily, Customs agents were able to find this shipment before they were dispersed.

While Americans are becoming more concerned about lead, China continues to produce contaminated toys. China takes little responsibility for producing these toys. "If you give a high price for purchasing, the factories will use high quality raw materials to produce. But if the price is low, they can only use inferior raw materials" (Audra Ang, 3). They are blaming Mattel for the problem, and have been trying to convince the public that they have nothing to do with the problem. " Because a growing number of countries have rejected or recalled its exports, Beijing has been forced to launch a campaign to reassure its consumers at home and abroad, while highlighting similar problems in other countries and criticizing foreign media for playing up the issue" ( Audra Ang,4).

There are no excuses for China not accepting some responsibility for this product recall. Ironically, Mattel is taking the blame for this current recall by issuing this statement, "Mattel takes full responsibility for these recalls and apologizes personally to you, the Chinese people, and all of our customers who received the toys." With Mattel accepting full responsibility, this does not hold China liable for their actions. By passing the blame to someone else, the problem will never be solved.

China disregarding any involvement seemed to be short lived. Zhang Shuhong, the co-owner of Lee Der Industrial Company, committed suicide after the recalls were exposed. Lee Der Industrial Company is one of the largest toy manufacturers in China. "Each week, it seemed, brought news of another faulty Chinese product; and with it, growing concerns about unscrupulous Chinese businessmen: cutting corners; pouring cheap, sometimes lethal, ingredients into their products; endangering consumers around the world, even children, to make a bigger profit" ( David Barboza, 2). It is not uncommon for well-known officials to commit suicide in China when they have disgraced their name-sake.

Many people believe that Zhang Shuhong's suicide is bringing awareness to the corrupt toy manufacturing industry. "They say that Mr. Zhang was a victim, too - of his own duplicitous suppliers, of China's faulty supply chains, and of the pressures of its loosely regulated brand of capitalism, where Chinese entrepreneurs feel squeezed between Western companies' appetite for cheap goods and the fierce local competition to satisfy it"(David Barboza, 3). America wants products that are efficient and cheap, but do not want to compromise on quality. This could be a leading factor to the 'short-cuts' taken to mass produce goods for America while continuing to have a profit range.

Something needs to be done about this illegal type of manufacturing going on overseas. Americans are suffering the consequences of over-looked laws and procedures so large toy industries are able to profit. Awareness needs to be brought to local communities who will act together to petition these toys. The only time the public hears about lead contaminants is when there is a recall. This is unacceptable and there should not be continuous mistakes being made by the same companies. The government needs to become involved and let these toy manufactures know they will begin to regulate the situation. If they continue to do ill business overseas, they will be shut down. The fact that our children are suffering the consequences from the lack of laws is unacceptable. By holding China accountable for their actions, a solution will appear.

Sources:
jose_sinaga 2 / 3  
growing

to much "growing" word used, u could find the synonymous to avoid using the same word over and over ;)
OP tammychase 1 / 1  
great thank you. i didn't realize this, appreciate the help

Home / Essays / Polly Has Lead in her Pockets, a Proposal Essay