Summary of "Sleep Debt and the Mortgaged Mind"-Feedback

Shay87 2 / 3  
LaShay Harris
Dr. Brownson
Writ 101
9/14/2012

"Sleep Debt and the Mortgaged Mind" Summary
William Dement has a M.D and a PhD; he is also known as one of the founders of modern sleep medicine. Alongside that he is a professor and researcher at Stanford University. The article, Sleep Debt and the Mortgaged Mind, first appeared in The Promise of Sleep and was co-written with Christopher Vaughan. The author describes the issues and consequences to sleep debt and the non-recognition it receives. For example, Dr. Dement points out these two incidents, Exxon Valdez and the Challenger, as accidents that could have been prevented if not for the fact of sleep deprivation. Dr. Dement and Mr. Vaughan advise people to know and understand what sleep debt is and how it works. William and Christopher referred to sleep deprivation as building bricks in a backpack, and the more time spent staying awake, the greater the weight of the bricks. Though statically the required amount of time to sleep is eight hours, but that amount would not be enough. For instance, sleeping eight hours a night, but decides to stay up for three extra hours another night and still get up for an eight A.M class; sleep debt has accumulated and now there is less alertness throughout the day.

Dr. Dement and Mr. Vaughan mention the research they have done at Stanford University; the test gave more proof of how important sleep is. The Multiple Sleep Latency Test or MSLT calculates the sleepiness and time it takes for the patient to fall back to sleep. The students were interrupted from their sleep ever five to ten seconds several times throughout the night. The MSLT results were really low, so Dr. Dement gave the students more time to sleep with little interruptions, the results steadily improved. William Dement also mentions of a friend, who claims that he has gotten enough sleep two nights before, to drive home. But it turns out not to be true, because the man fell asleep while driving and got into an accident. Dr. Dement and Mr. Vaughan report that drinking alcohol while sleep deprived is just as dangerous as drunk driving. Others can be fine with just a bit to drink, if their sleep debt is low, but for the other half whose sleep debt is greater, that bit to drink can turn fatal.

William Dement and Christopher Vaughan acknowledge the need to stay up at night and finish a late project for work or school, but they also consider that it is safer to just get the sleep that is needed. Also it is best to place yourself on a more reasonable schedule. Dr. Dement always teaches his students the importance of sleep. He relays the same message that drowsiness is the red alert. If the need to rub the eyes or yawn accrues those are the signs of sleepiness. The less sleep, the more yawns throughout the day, the more rubbing of eyes, and the need for more caffeine. Getting the sleep that is need as Dr. Dement and Mr. Vaughan states, the complete feeling of refresh, energized, and alertness comes with it. William Dement and Christopher Vaughan propose that people should know the importance, and warnings of sleep deprivation and the consequences that comes with it.

Work Cited
Dement ,William C., and Christopher Vaughan. "Sleep Debt and the Mortgaged Mind." Writing And Reading Across The Curriculum. 11th ed. New York: Longman-Pearson, 2010. 497-505. Print.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Hi I can suggest a few adjustments to your paper.

Alongside that, he is a professor and researcher at Stanford University. The article, Sleep Debt and the Mortgaged Mind, first appeared in The Promise of Sleep and was co-written with Christopher Vaughan. The author describes the issues and consequences toof sleep debt and the non-recognition it receives. For example, Dr. Dement points out these two specific incidents, Exxon Valdez and the Challenger, as accidents that could have been prevented if not for the fact ofworkers were not sleep deprived .

William and Christopher refer to sleep deprivation as building bricks in a backpack, and the more time spent staying awake, the greater the weight of the bricks.

ThoughS tatically, the required amount of time to sleep is eight hours, but that amount wouldmay not be enough for some . For instance, a person typically sleeps eight hours a night, but then decides to stay up for three extra hours another night and still get up for an eight A.M class.Thus, he only had five hours of sleep ; sleep debt has accumulated and now therehe is less alert throughout the day.

William Dement also mentions of aa story about his friend , who claimed that he had gotten enough sleep two nights before, and proceeded to drive home. But it turns out not to be truethat he was sleep deprived , because the man fell asleep while driving and got into an accident.
OP Shay87 2 / 3  
Thank you very much. It makes more sense now.

Home / Essays / Summary of "Sleep Debt and the Mortgaged Mind"-Feedback