Admission for Phd in Epidemiology

Khawater 1 / 8  
Hi Everybody,

It is the first time for me to share in any forum. I would like to apply for Phd in a university in Canada. I am writing my CV and after that I will write the Covering letter to email them first to the supervisor staff trying to get his/her acceptance. But I am really confused what I have to include in the Objective part in the CV and how long should it be as i will join the CV with a covering letter which will include my Statment of purpose?

(note: The writing is not something easy for me as English is not my native language)

your answers are really appreciated
ershad193 14 / 333 5  
Now I am confused. Do you mean you won't be including your cover letter when you contact your potential supervisor?

Anyway, right now I am at the same stage as you are. What I have done (or am going to do) is as follows:

1) Identify a potential supervisor with research interests similar to mine.
2) Go through his/her recent publications and read a couple of relevant papers.
3) Email them, which includes,
a line to express my interest
a brief intro about myself
how I like their work (I cite the paper)
provide some insight if I can
tell them to find my attached CV (about two pages long as my background is in engg.)
salutation
4) Wait for a couple of weeks (some of them reply, others don't)

Good luck!!!
OP Khawater 1 / 8  
Thank you very much for your answer,

I mean by cover letter is the letter that includes same points you mentioned; as intro about myself, research interests, etc. And I will attach my CV as well which is about 4 pages in my case. I have read in more than one guide that it is very important to include part of objectives about 3 to 4 sentences. That is why I am asking shall I put objectives while it will repetition of the information in covering letter? And is it better to shorten my CV?

Thanks again for your response.
It would be great to call the institution and respectfully ask about their preferences on length. Do what they say.

About objectives: We all want our lives to be meaningful, so if we meet a student who has a clear plan for the future, we want to see that student succeed. We especially want you to succeed if you have goals that will benefit others or improve society.

If I was in a position to decide whether or not to accept a student, I would want to choose someone who has a detailed plan for the next five years. Write some sentences that give details to show how much time you have spent thinking of what you are determined to accomplish.

:-)
OP Khawater 1 / 8  
Thanks EF Kevin,

I got the idea, your answer helps me a lot.

Thank you
OP Khawater 1 / 8  
Hi everybody,

it is really a wonderful benificial forum, thanks for you all.

this is a draft of a letter to be send to the potential supervisor, your comments are highly appreciated.

Dear Dr. xxx,

I am an Epidemiologist seeking for a doctoral position in epidemiology and I am highly interested in your scope of research; communicable disease. It is my privilege to ask for your agreement to supervise me during my study, it will be an invaluable opportunity.

Currently I am working in an infection control department in a xxx Hospital since October 2008. In my work I am responsible for healthcare associated infections surveillance, outbreaks investigation, and initiating programs to control HAIs. In addition; I am tutoring first-year medical students in problem based learning sessions.

I hold MBBS and Diploma degree in field epidemiology (FETP). I have an experience in conducting researches, literature reviews and scientific presentations, In addition to analysis of national surveillance data.

My goal is to expand my knowledge in epidemiology to utilize this individual science in controlling communicable diseases which affect people all over the world and to enrich the research in this field. And through getting a training under your supervision and in the internationally leading university of xxx; I will be able to do more to people in the community as well as in the healthcare facilities and I will be able to share and exchange the experience between two far geographic areas and two different communities. Fortunately my university will provide a total study scholarship.

A copy of my curriculum vitae is attached. I am looking to hear from you, and appreciating your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
hannahan - / 7  
It is my privilege to ask for your agreement to supervise me during my study, it will be an invaluable opportunity.

I think you need a conjunction between these two
Yes! You need the word 'and' right after the comma. Otherwise it is a run on sentence.

I am an Epidemiologist seeking for a doctoral position in epidemiology, and I am highly interested in your scope of research: communicable disease.

In addition, I am tutoring first-year medical students in problem based learning sessions.

I hold MBBS and Diploma degree in field epidemiology (FETP). I have an experience in conducting research , literature reviews and scientific presentations in addition to analysis of national surveillance data.

And through getting a training under your supervision and in the internationally leading university of xxx, I will be able to do more to benefit people in the community as well as in the healthcare facilities, and I will be able to share and exchange the experience between two far geographic areas and two different communities.

A copy of my curriculum vitae is attached. I am looking to hear from you, and I appreciate your time and consideration.

Please be sure to help some other people with their essays. You write very well, but you have some mistakes that show you are bilingual. If you are bilingual, you can help a lot of other bilingual people here at essayforum.

Good luck with your internship! Notice all the small changes I made.

When you use a semi-colon, it should separate two phrases that could each be a complete sentence. Google this: correct use of semi-colon
OP Khawater 1 / 8  
Thanks hannahan and Kevin,

I've noticed the changes you have made.
and as you've said I am bilingual and do not feel confident to comment on others writing because it could be incorrect. But I will try to do as long as somebody will be there to correct me as well.

Best regards.
But I will try to do as long as somebody will be there to correct me as well.

Yeah, someone can correct you as well! Good point. Also, you do not need to make corrections. Just talk about the essay in any way that you can. Thank you!!!!!!!

Home / Graduate / Admission for Phd in Epidemiology