Advertisement on earthwork - MOTIVATION LETTER for admission to MSc EXPLORATION GEOPHYSICS

stratalee 1 / 1  
any form of criticisms, corrections are welcome please. below is my first attempt after going through various examples

With respect to the advertisement on earthworks-jobs website, i write to express interest in applying for the international master of research program in 'Exploration Geophysics' in your institution. This is in-line with my career goals of becoming a top notch Geoscientist/ Research Consultant. I wish to broaden my technical skills and expertise in area of data processing and interpretation in Seismic and Electrical methods. I am aware that the workforce is very competitive and in order to be successful, I need to stand out. I believe that this MSc program is the right platform for me to accomplish my professional and personal goals. I also believe this program will provide me the chance of gaining a meaningful work experience whilst i study and particularly alluring to me is an excellent job prospect upon completion of this course.

The undergraduate curriculum in applied geophysics at Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife, introduced me to a wide scope of subjects. Various courses like Geophysical methods (Seismic, magnetics, electrical etc.) of prospecting and interpretation, Structural and petroleum Geology, Mineralogy, Petrology, Geochemistry, Stratigraphy, Hydrogeology have provided me with a strong footing in the theoretical & practical concepts of Earth Sciences as it applies to the exploitation of earth's resources. I had the opportunity to undergo a number of fieldworks that accompanied some of the courses where I was able to Acquire, Process and Interpret real life data.

My undergraduate thesis was on a research into the use of integrated geophysical methods to image the subsurface in order to predict the foundation condition of a site earmarked for construction of a civil engineering structure. This research involved collecting actual field data which I processed and then gave an interpretation within a geological context. I particularly enjoyed the exercise, though it was rigorous and challenging collecting field data, yet it proved to be a rewarding effort. I want to add that, I received the highest grades for this thesis (A) and went on to complete the undergraduate program as the best student with a cumulative of over 75% GPA.

I have had a couple of experience acquiring geophysical data using Seismic (refraction), Electrical, Electromagnetic and Magnetic methods. One of such experience was collecting readings with a Proton Magnetometer (Magnetics) over an area bordering a batholith of granitic rock in Igarra, Edo state, Nigeria, the aim was to distinguish validate the occurrence of species of granite in this region as purported by previous geologists who worked in the area. The result was rather conclusive of the presence of two kinds of granite rock (with different magnetic susceptibilities) as seen from the contoured sections drawn with the aid of a computer software program.

Another valuable experience was being in a team that carried out geophysical investigation in Osun state Nigeria, to locate the position of lithological contacts between two surficial mapped rocks of pegmatized schist and basement complex rocks. This exercise helped me develop a team work, presentation and time management skills in keeping to deadlines and documenting the report. Since graduation in June 2013, I have acquired experience in interpreting VES data, employing the manual curve matching method and computer assisted 1D iteration, to determine geo-electric parameters of the subsurface which can be used for ground water exploration.

Apart from my studies, I was a member and official of a few student societies saddled with the responsibility of promoting awareness of Geosciences and contribute to the welfare of the students in the department. I took a two months training course on ArcGIS and self-study program in Opendtect software for 3D Seismic interpretation all in the past few months after graduation to keep myself busy and abreast of the technology.

I am a serious and quiet and flexible individual that has a strong affinity for calculations, my past engagements with calculation courses have been met with excellence from high school to the university, i intend to continue in that same vein, and beyond with a PhD, if admitted into the research program. By interacting with professionals and having access to world class research facilities in your institution, I am convinced that through diligence and a drive to succeed, I will be able to make a positive contribution to your institution.

Yours Sincerely,
name
mayaRa 3 / 4 1  
Closing sentence will be better.

example:
In summary I believe that ...
OP stratalee 1 / 1  
thanks a bunch.
your contribution is noted and would be adopted

Home / Graduate / Advertisement on earthwork - MOTIVATION LETTER for admission to MSc EXPLORATION GEOPHYSICS