Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

Advice for a statement of purpose for a master in robotics at EPFL

frozono9 1 / -  
I'm writing a statement of purpose to apply for an MSc at the EPFL.

The guidelines given by the EPFL are the following: "The statement of purpose should not exceed 1000 words. You are required to describe your academic background and your career strategy. Please be precise about the objectives you wish to reach through your studies at EPFL."

The Nexus of Magic and Mechanics: A Pursuit of Excellence in Robotics at EPFL

As I sit here at the tail-end of this 12-month internship as a Mechatronics and Research Engineer at [Company A], I have the chance to reflect on how I got to this point and where I would like to go from here...

Years ago, a chance encounter with a street magician sparked a fascination: at first becoming a performer, like him. However, I quickly realized that it was not just the tricks, but the intricate mechatronics and manufacturing processes behind the illusions. This childhood curiosity evolved into a passion, leading me to develop and sell original magic tricks by the age of 16 to magicians such as [Famous Magician A]. The journey naturally steered me towards a technical undergraduate degree: BSc in Industrial Design Engineering, specializing in Mechanical Engineering. This academic pursuit not only refined my engineering skills but also ignited an interest in technologies like robotics, additive manufacturing, CAD design, optimization, and simulation. These past experiences prompt me now to continue learning through the MSc in Robotics at EPFL, viewing it as a necessary step towards a future marked by continued achievement and professional excellence

The term 'Magic Engineer' may seem unconventional at first, but it encapsulates my passion for the technical intricacies-the complex mechatronics and manufacturing processes-underneath the hood of many magical illusions. The melding of magic and engineering became tangible as I designed a magic trick for [Famous Magician B]'s 2024 TV special, pushing the boundaries of mechanical design, electronics, and microcontroller programming. This practical application further fueled my passion for the intricate puzzle that is manufacturing technology and mechanical design.

My BSc in [City] was the first time I could be immersed in an academic environment that fostered my ideas and helped me grow as an engineer. However, the first two years of this degree had many design-centric classes that I struggled with more. By the third year, classes had begun transitioning from design-centric to more technical and mechanical: marking a pivotal shift in my interest and curricular grades. This realization that my interests lay in more technical realms became the foundation for my pursuit of advanced studies. The focus on robotics, additive manufacturing, and CAD led to a 9.2/10.0, as well as a nomination for best BSc thesis. In this project, I became the Project Lead as well as Lead Mechanical/Electrical Designer of a small team where we researched, developed, and prototyped what ended up becoming my final Bachelor's thesis: MOTUS, a 6-axis robotic arm with an Open-Source design that can be easily manufactured and assembled for a general university setting.

As Project Lead, I was in charge of:
- Developing the 3D printable mechanics of the robot
- Writing and prototyping software with C++/Python and ROS
- Creating the GitHub repository as well as creating an ELISAVA Repository
- Keeping a schedule with CAD, manufacturing, assembly, and programming in mind
- Keeping the books and working with suppliers and sponsors
- Helping bring MOTUS to primary education by giving courses on its uses and creation

This research also sparked an idea: creating a Robotics and Manufacturing Research Lab (RMRL) at [University], with MOTUS as the first project that would be available for students to test and create additional parts for. With this additional objective in mind, a secondary part of my work as Project Lead also became the development of this space as well as its applications.

Having found this area of interest in Robotics, with the completion of my BSc I sought out opportunities that would help me grow as a Mechatronics Engineer: which is when I found the open position at [Company A] in [City]. While initially a 6-month internship, it has now transitioned to a 12-month collaboration, including a 2-month assignment at the Tokyo office. Under the supervision of [Supervisor] and [Director], I work as the sole contributor to a confidential project that requires designing the mechatronics of an autonomous particle collection robot car, manufacturing it (both with machinery in-house and through external suppliers), and setting up robotics systems so that it can work in a very specific scenario (including programming the on-board computer, CV system for particle detection and motion planning, as well as the communication protocol between other interconnected elements in the space). With limited experience managing such complex pipelines independently, this project has proved to be a fantastic learning experience as well as an integral contribution to the overall [Project Name] flagship project here at [Company A]. As a first experience in non-academic research, it has been very rewarding and something that I for sure want to continue being involved in.

These challenges and insights gained at [Company A], ELISAVA and as a Magic Engineer serve as the impetus for my decision to pursue advanced studies at EPFL. Having engaged with alumni (particularly of the Reconfigurable Robotics Lab) as well as recognizing the dynamic and collaborative environment that defines EPFL, I am eager to delve deeper into robotics, artificial intelligence, and additive manufacturing. This, I believe, is crucial for my envisioned dual focus in the coming years: advancing the frontiers of robotics research while intertwining my passion for magic with the technical marvels of mechatronics.

As I stand at the threshold of joining the EPFL community, I am confident that this institution will propel my next academic and professional chapter. Having acquired a solid foundation in mechatronics, practical experiences at [Company A], and fueled by a passion for the intersection of magic and engineering, I look forward to the exciting opportunities for personal and professional development: eager to contribute meaningfully to EPFL.

Word Count: 918

Home / Graduate / Advice for a statement of purpose for a master in robotics at EPFL