Bilingual Speech Pathology Master's Program SoP

maestrarae 1 / -  
I'm applying to various bilingual speech-language pathology programs, and I'm concerned that my statement of purpose doesn't underscore that interest like it should. Any insight would be wonderful. The problem is that most of my experience is in teaching because I wasn't able to take advantage of opportunities in my field (they were mostly reserved for grad students). Maybe I should go more into that.

Here's what I have:

"Nuh-nothing on you, baby!" belted out Emilio, the only verbal student in a day school that catered to children with cerebral palsy. He had memorized the lyrics to a popular song, and he never missed an opportunity to demonstrate his mastery of them. A budding pop star was among us! Although his echolalia and socially-inappropriate outbursts were to be discouraged, it was impossible not to feel elated around him. Working in that school forever changed my perception of exceptional children like Emilio and ignited a passion for advocacy and intervention for bilingual children that has not waned since.

During my undergraduate career, I dedicated myself to two fields of study: Spanish and speech-language pathology, while working. As a first-generation college student, I managed to keep my grades high while gaining experience as a teacher (speech-language pathology experience was difficult to come by, as most opportunities were reserved for graduate students). One experience in particular defined my under-graduate career.

I enrolled in an Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) class in Summer 2010 with Dr. Jennifer Kent-Walsh. Our class of twelve students had a mission: to help facilitate a workshop for the siblings of children with Down syndrome (called SibShops). To me, this concept was revolutionary, as I had never considered this kind of family-centered model for therapy.

In cooperation with the Down Syndrome Association of Central Florida, we brought together 15 children whose siblings had Down syndrome. Many of them were coping with very difficult emotions, such as isolation, and were forced to mature at a much faster rate as a result of their sibling's disorder. This made them both more empathetic and more vulnerable. They were able to find common ground and forge new friendships with peers who found themselves in similar situations, something that until that point was a foreign concept for them. My exposure to this unique perspective inspired me to submit a project to my university's annual Community Service showcase. Being able to educate the public about something I felt so strongly about was indescribable. This event, coupled with my experiences teaching children whose first language is Spanish, has solidified my decision to work in the public school system as a with culturally and linguistically diverse clients (CLD) as a bilingual clinician.

Graduate studies at the University of Texas at Austin are perfectly suited to my career goals for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, the Bilingual Speech-Language Pathology Certificate would allow me to gain experience with a Spanish-speaking clientele. My experience living and teaching in Spain (not mentioned here), as well as the fact that I understand the monumental challenge of learning a second language and culture, will prove useful in client interactions. In addition, I would be filling a gaping hole in the field of speech-language pathology, as qualified bilingual clinicians are in short supply. Secondly, the opportunity to conduct research with Dr. Anita PĂŠrez or Dr. Lisa Bedore would be phenomenal, as it would allow me to refine my understanding of child language and phonological development, as well as Spanish and English literacy issues, two topics which intrigue me and directly relate to public school practice.
Bebo 2 / 8  
I am sorry but I could not understand the first paragraph.
---------
What I meant to say is that I feel like I don't talk about the bilingual component of the program enough. Any suggestions?
Rachel

Home / Graduate / Bilingual Speech Pathology Master's Program SoP