CASPA Admissions: "motivation towards becoming a PA"

maggiek3 1 / 2  
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site...what a great idea for a webpage!
This essay is for the Personal Statement portion of the CASPA Physician Assistant application. This instructions are to "describe my motivation towards becoming a PA." I'd appreciate any feedback people may have on this essay. I'm not sure that I conveyed my points as directly as I should...but I'm just not sure how to fix it at this point. Thank you in advance for your help!

I am not one of those people who knew from a young age that it was my destiny to work in the health care field, let alone as a physician assistant. In truth, I only just learned of the PA profession about 4 years ago. What I have known for some time is that I have an insatiable desire to learn and that my empathy for people is a driving force in my relationships with others. I have also known that I have a knack for science and fortunately, I greatly enjoy the subject. This characteristic led me to a degree in biology, and subsequently a career in pre-clinical research. After graduation, I started working at a medical device research company. This company directs the preclinical trials of new medical devices which involves using animal species as test subjects. My position as a research associate allowed me to explore many different aspects of surgical care and demonstrate varying levels of responsibility. Before procedures, I would help prep the animal by placing endotracheal tubes and IV catheters. During surgical procedures, I acted as an anesthesiologist, circulating nurse, and scrub nurse. After, I would recover the animal from anesthesia. In time, I also performed many of the surgical procedures, either as a primary surgeon or assistant. I completed countless cut-down and percutaneous vessel access procedures. I assisted in orthopedic procedures, and performed craniotomies solo. I did micro-surgery on rats, and performed thoracotomies on sheep. Although I enjoyed this job, I knew that research was not a permanent place for me since it lacked the direct human interaction that I thrive in. As I was considering the next step in my career path, my supervisor suggested I look into the PA profession.

As I investigated the role of a PA in the health care field, I discovered that it is a perfect fit for my interests and goals. I was interested in surgery due to my research experience, but providing health care using a team approach (i.e. physician's and PA's working together) was intriguing. When I finally decided that PA was the career for me, I left my research job and became a Certified Nursing Assistant. Since then, I have held several jobs as a CNA in significantly different hospitals and facilities, ranging from pediatric care, to respiratory care, to geriatric and memory care. While working in these roles, I learned that I truly love interacting with patients, as well as with their family and friends and other health care providers. I feel that I possess unique personality traits make me an ideal candidate for direct patient care. I enjoy hearing the stories of other people, and as a health-care professional, I take pride in being a part of their continuing story and helping them through a difficult time. I feel that I have an ability to explain medical procedures and practices in a way that non-health-literate patients can understand. Through my work as a CNA, I was able to develop useful non-verbal communication skills to help patients who did not speak English or had varying levels of comprehension. I also spent time shadowing PA's from cardiology and orthopedic backgrounds. Observing these professionals at work allowed me to really see what the day-to-day life of a physician assistant is like. From that experience, I learned that a PA often has a more personal relationship with patients, and this type of relationship is a perfect fit for my empathic and helpful nature.

Since receiving my undergraduate degree six years ago, I feel that the knowledge I have gained outside the lecture hall has been, in ways, more beneficial than what I learned at school. Additionally, I have found that since I now have a definite goal in mind, classwork has become easier. Although my academic history had its ups and downs, I feel that as a more mature student with specific goals, my recent academic achievements are much improved and will continue to improve throughout my time in graduate school. I have spent the last three years pursuing the goal of becoming a physician assistant, and the more work I put into this endeavor, the more excited and certain I am about my future. I feel that I have put forth the necessary effort to truly understand what it takes to be a PA and I know I am fully capable of undertaking this career. I have a passion for excellent patient care, I have extensive knowledge of science and health care, and I have the drive to perform exceptionally well. I feel that these qualities, along with my past experiences, will help me to become an excellent physician assistant.
What I have known for some time though , is that I have an insatiable desire to learn and that my empathy for people is a driving force in my relationships with others.

This company directs the preclinical trials of new medical devices which involves using animal species as test subjects.

My position as a research associate has allowed me to explore many different aspects of surgical care and demonstrate varying levels of responsibility.

In time, I also performed many of the surgical procedures, either as a primary surgeon or as an assistant.

... I learned that I truly love interacting with patients, as well as with their families and friends and other health care providers.

I feel that I possess unique personality traits which make me an ideal candidate for direct patient care.

Observing these professionals at work has allowed me to really see what the day-to-day life of a physician assistant is like.

Although my academic history has had its ups and downs, I feel...

I have a passion for excellent patient care, I havean extensive knowledge of science and health care, and I have the drive to perform exceptionally well.

This is a well thought out and written essay. Good luck in school!

:)

Home / Graduate / CASPA Admissions: "motivation towards becoming a PA"