CMU METALS (EdTech) PS - emphasis on professional experience

oliveoil 1 / -  
/*
CMU METALS is an HCI related program focused on EdTech. There is no specific prompt for the program. It is a professional rather than academic program and I had trouble weighing how much personal vs how much professional should be included and linking everything together.

applying to the METALS program

When drafting this essay, I was reminded of my early experiences with the Reader Rabbit software. I found an article where early EdTech pioneer Leslie Grimm, explained her motivation for creating her own suite of games:

"... Grimm had first-hand experience with some of the earliest educational software made by textbook companies. 'It would ask the kids a math question, and if they got it wrong, the screen would fill with a big red X and there would be a loud raspberry sound,'"

This resonated with me due to similar encounters with early educational software. In elementary school I had a speech impediment. Some of my earliest memories of computers involve headsets, microphones, and mimicking words spoken on a computer. The programs were functional, but the lessons were tedious and unimaginative - in fact they also made a sort of raspberry click when the wrong answer was selected. I hated speech therapy.

Technology has also been a great tool for me as well. In elementary school I was so enamored with the software KidPix I stayed inside at recess for the opportunity to doodle. Initially I went to college hoping to study fine arts. Unfortunately, in my junior year I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, a condition which occasionally makes me unable to use my hands to perform fine motions. I began making basic HTML websites in middle school and I focused my passion on digital art to the practical applications of digital art and web design.

For the past several years I've continued leveraging these skills working in front end web development and design. I can move from concept stages to complete sites; making wireframes, mockups, illustrations then integrating drafts into HTML templates, or complex sites with back end databases. I consistently collaborate with different stakeholders and teams, often in an agile and fast-paced environment, I am motivated to try new tasks and incorporate innovative design improvements.

I am relieved and proud when something I conceptualized makes it into the world where it can be seen by others, but the greatest sense of accomplishment I feel comes when I'm explaining a technical skill and I can see someone "get it." Especially when they've accomplished a task they didn't think they could, even more so when I've learned something as well.

I've taught web development to adults of varying ages and ability levels in professional and academic settings. It has made me better at front end skills, as well as communication, patience, and empathy. I come from a family of educators, both my mother and sister work in special education in public schools, and I believe in the adage, "you never really learn something until you teach it."

My purpose in pursuing graduate school is to elevate my practice beyond that of a general designer and developer who uses insights and past experience to make educated guesses about what works. I would like to develop skills to apply quantifiable metrics and a deep understanding of human-computer interaction to build great products as well as justify and lead design decisions.

I am applying to the METALS program because as I've considered the kind of experiences I want to create and the companies I want to work for I feel most passionate about education. Ideally, I would like to work as a curriculum designer or product manager for a company in the EdTech realm focused on applications for students with disabilities. My professional background is in technology and Carnegie Mellon has tremendous technical resources. I am further drawn to the cross-disciplinary nature of the program, it's emphasis on the psychological aspects of how people learn, and the incorporation of industry work.

As the role of educational software increases, I believe its essential product creators have an empathetic understanding of learning so they can provide positive experiences. I want future EdTech to feel like KidPix and the Oregon Trail. I don't want learners to feel frustrated, bored, or as if they're being ignored with a lack of human engagement. Understanding what elements must be in place to achieve this result is my goal and I feel confident the METALS program would provide an opportunity discover.

I believe my strongest asset is my professional background iterating through the design cycle, speaking with clients and customers, collaborating with different roles, and incorporating feedback into each new step. In addition, I have a sense of playfulness and curiosity with my design work and a desire to know how I can incorporate visuals and play into engaging educational experiences.

Thank you for considering my application.
@oliveoil I think that the strength of your statement of purpose lies in the way that you have a personal connection with your chosen career. This is not something you chose because you were academically adept at it. You chose it because you have a direct stake in its improvement. You came from there and experienced it. Therefore, you know how to improve it for future generational use. The problem is that the personal background and your personal purpose are located too far apart in the essay. Try to bring them closer together by brining the personal purpose up to immediately after the reference to your personal experience. After that, the focus on the professional aspect will make more sense and allow for a clearer focus within the discussion presentation.

Overall, I believe this is an acceptable SOP that could strongly combine the personal and academic purpose of your learning plans. No worries about that part. You just need to edit the essay to provide more clarity to the content of the discussion.

Home / Graduate / CMU METALS (EdTech) PS - emphasis on professional experience