Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

"everything my patient is experiencing" -Why do I want to be a Physician Assistant?

mz1ozano 1 / -  
Hello-
Please help give constructive criticism to my narrative. I want the beginning and ending to have a strong impact and if not, please offer suggestions. Not sure if I should eliminate the whole 1st paragraph...my purpose was to describe how it strenghtened me mentally and emotionally and to give off a little more of my character resolve through a life changing experience...Thank you for your time and help.

After many years of seeing her suffer and live her last years in pain, I can vividly remember the day she was withdrawn in a state of nirvana anxiously awaiting to be taken to a better place. Countless attempts to get her to eat were made as well attempts to regain her level of attention until it ultimately led to an emergency call. As we hurriedly drove behind the ambulance, my father along with my two siblings and I rushed to be at her side. As we arrived into the ER, I only hoped I was imagining things as I saw the healthcare team swarm around her performing chest compressions in the blink of an eye. As they quickly pulled the curtain before I could gather my thoughts, my siblings, father, and I were escorted to a back room to sit and wait. As my Dad was called out to speak with the Physician, I anxiously looked through the small clear window on the door to his facial expression for hope or some sigh of relief. To my demise, tears rolled down his face as he emotionally collapsed his head in his hands. As the eldest of three, I ran to his side offering what little strength I had at seventeen years old having just lost my mother.

My mother, who was a Registered Nurse, inspired me at a young age to pursue a career in the medical field and through my life experiences, my values and beliefs have molded me into who I am today and who I want to be. Driven at a young age to achieve my goals, I joined HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America), a student organization whose mission is to promote career opportunities in health care in high school, and obtained a Service-Vice President position which opened opportunities for service and ultimately inspired me to continue serving those in need.

While working towards my RN, I worked as an LPN in critical care on a per diem basis. After the opportunity arose to move to a clinic setting, I accepted the position to work under a Physician Assistant. In the clinic I learned so much about what the role of a Physician Assistant was and I grew more and more interested in the profession as I witnessed the autonomy the PA had, yet the ability to collaborate with the primary physician when needed. I also grew to love the relationship the PA had with his patients. The level of trust and rapport the patients had with the Physician Assistant was truly admirable. After obtaining my RN, I felt I was not utilizing the clinical skills I was awarded through my certification and went back to the hospital setting where I currently work on a critical care unit.

The involvement I have in a patient's plan of care as a nurse is truly rewarding. I love the fact that I get to provide bedside care and offer a sense of comfort that one cannot describe. What I have learned after working as a nurse, is not only how much I love working with and for people, but how much I love helping them by becoming knowledgeable about their disease process, collaborating with physicians and the healthcare team, as well as learning directly from the Physician and Physician Assistant about their thought process in treating patients. I observe and admire the linear relationship between the Physician and PA which I feel makes the profession so productive and effective. I find myself not only fulfilling written orders, yet wanting to know more about why we are doing what we are doing as well as what is to come. I have learned that I want to be able to do more for my patients than what I do now as a nurse. I want the ability to devise a treatment plan, order diagnostic tests in search for answers, as well as help prescribe if need be in addition to educating patients and the public of health concerns as well as providing emotional support. I want to know about everything my patient is experiencing and be able to help them in a way I am unable to as a nurse.

Home / Graduate / "everything my patient is experiencing" -Why do I want to be a Physician Assistant?