Family and physical therapy? Need help connecting the two for PT school apps!

gretch0 1 / -  
Describe your decision making process in choosing physical therapy as a career choice versus other health care careers:

I sat on the court knowing something was wrong; knowing that I was not going to be the same person that I was before.
It was senior year of high school and I finally made it on the varsity volleyball team. When my coach decided to put me on the court, I was ecstatic and played the best defense I have ever played. However, my euphoria soon came to an end when another player and I jumped for the same ball and I landed and twisted my right knee. I do not remember hearing or feeling a pop; instead I felt numb and confused as to why I could not bend my leg. The student athletic trainers soon came to my rescue and a trip to the emergency room revealed that I had completely torn my ACL and needed surgery. That is when I had my first encounter with physical therapists.

Before going to my first session, I was very skeptical about regaining my strength and was not the easiest patient to work with. I was late to my first couple appointments and hesitant to try new exercises. However, my family and my therapist never lost hope and assured me that I would get better as long as I did the exercises and came to physical therapy. I was still reluctant, but decided that I would only get worse if I remained sedentary. Then, one day I was finally able to do a single leg balancing exercise with little difficulty and everyone was absolutely thrilled. From that day on, my attitude completely changed and I looked forward to going to physical therapy and knew that I was on the road to complete recovery.

The positive attitude and reassurance of both the therapist and my family helped my career-making decision. Growing up, I knew that I wanted to do something that influenced peoples' lives and I was confident that being a doctor was the only way to do that. However, after high school, I became a personal trainer and found that many clients were unable to exercise to their maximum potential due to injuries. They felt defeated and convinced that they were unable to improve their lives because of their debilitating circumstance. It was not until then that I knew that I truly wanted to be a physical therapist.

What sets physical therapy apart from other health care professions is the one-on-one time allotted to patients. A good therapist will listen to their patients' problems and work with them in a way that will not make them feel rushed. I find that with other professions, such as a doctor, it is more about servicing patients as quickly as possible so that they may cram their day with as many people as they can. People lose the sense of being cared for and feel like they are just another number.

Working with different therapists has taught me that patience and a feeling of actually being taken care of are important for patients. The primary goal is to get an injury rehabilitated in a timely manner, but it is also important to remember that people are also in therapy to be helped as a whole. Physical therapy not only helps a person with their injury; it helps their attitude and their daily lives. People, especially people in physical therapy, have enough problems on their plate and many find that physical therapy helps to give them hope. Throughout my experience as an aide, I found that staying positive and talking with patients helps to change their attitude about their injury. It makes them feel welcomed and gives them a little more optimism. I also found that the best therapists are able to connect with their patients and treat them as if they were family.

My family is extremely important to me and without them, I would be nothing. Being the youngest of four, there is an added pressure of being better than my other siblings because I am my parents' "last hope;' so with every move that I make, I strive to make my family proud. When I hear stories of people receiving poor treatment, it angers me because I think of my siblings or parents being treated in the same manner. I am determined to be a physical therapist because I want every patient to feel like they matter; to feel like they are being treated with the best care. No matter how difficult or challenging something is, I know that my family is always there to back me up. It is that type of support that has allowed me be the only one to finish my bachelor's degree; and it is that support that will allow me to reach my dream of becoming a physical therapist.
I sat on thecourt knowing something was wrong; knowing that I was not going to be the same person that I was before.

.... specify what court - e.g. football court

The student athletic trainers soon came to my rescue and a trip to the emergency room revealed that I had completely torn my ACL and needed surgery. That is when I had my first encounter with physical therapists.

... I think you should not give so much details;
I was soon rushed to the emergency room where I was informed that my ACL (better specify what ACL stands for )was completely torn and hence I should face a surgery. This was my very first encounter with physio therapists.

Home / Graduate / Family and physical therapy? Need help connecting the two for PT school apps!