"from a filmmaker-trainer to a filmmaker-entrepreneur", Career Goals Essay for CBS

Kuber 1 / 1  
Hi, this is my first ever admissions essay. Its for Columbia School of Business. I am afraid it makes me sound too naive and idealistic. Please share feedback.

What are your Short Term & Long Term career Goals? (750 words)
I do not have a romantic story to explain it, but I have always been in love with the cinema. I love the dust that the dreams of celluloid are made of. Like all great romances, this one was also secret for long. Considered bourgeois & vulgar, films were a taboo in my partly communist and partly conservative household. But I was hooked. The affair thrived as I lied to my parents about time spent in movie halls and about enrolling for a film course at postgraduate level. Though films weren't acceptable as a hobby, I eventually made a career out of them. However when I finally became a professional filmmaker and discovered the joy of creating something new, I didn't stop there.

I discovered the pleasure of sharing this joy of creation. After making documentaries for a couple of very satisfying years, I have spent the last two years bringing the power of film to the marginalized communities across India. I work with a small non-profit organization where I have been training and working with young activists creating simple but immensely powerful films expressing their stories and their struggles. Such films made by community members for dissemination within their communities are called Community Videos. And their impact goes beyond the obvious.

Imagine a film that cost only $100 that highlights and indirectly curbs corruption amongst law enforcement in a particular community or a 30-second clip that helped a young girl raise funds for her campaign on sexual abuse. My experiences with such small-scale efforts have made me a believer in the power of direct media intervention by communities, but I also feel that sustained effort is needed to enlarge the scope of Community Video.

With this motivation, I want to evolve from a filmmaker-trainer to a filmmaker-entrepreneur. I look forward to setting up a non-profit initiative that would democratize filmmaking by taking it to the masses and leverage media to empowering community voices. Though this venture will consolidate my passion for the film medium and my understanding of grassroots media, I feel the need for exposure to best business management practices at a leading Business school such as Columbia Business School (CBS).

During my stint at CBS, I will not only develop better understanding of entrepreneurial business principles and functional areas like finance, strategy, operations and human resources, but also develop focused approach at sustaining an enterprise with social as well as financial goals.

Armed with such a skill set, I aim to set up cross-linked community video units in at least six diverse communities with a long-term view to scale up nationally. Leveraging my relationships and experiences, I would initially focus on communities in North India that I am already involved with.

Having worked with mass media behemoths early in my career, I realize that the classical philosophy of a free and a socially responsible media is all but forgotten. Today it's an undisputed reality that the Indian media, somewhat like western Media, is controlled by and caters to the urban middleclass. But unlike the US, vast majority of our population is left untouched by the mainstream media.

Though there have been some remarkable initiatives to counter this very visible divide, I feel more concerted efforts are required. With Community Video, I want to focus on the goal of reclaiming media for the people. I have facilitated projects where films made by a five people crew reached out to tens of thousands of audience through small-scale screenings with a simple TV set. It's clear that Community Videos not just articulate the common man's voice and perspective, but also expands the reach of media, by engaging the audience invisible to mainstream media.

I understand that CBS with its focused Social Enterprise Program will be very well suited for my needs. At CBS, I look forward to strengthen my knowledge of financial structures and revenue models for a social enterprise. Membership to the Social Enterprise Club as well as participation in the Global Social Venture Association is sure to give me crucial hands on experience.

To scale up to the level that I envision and working in the constrained atmosphere of social entrepreneurship, not only do I need to grasp business strategy and traditional financing options but also creative interpretations of both. Focused courses at Columbia such as 'Global Marketing Consulting for Social Enterprise' and 'Entrepreneurial Finance' will help me develop such skills.

My longer term goal would be to develop sustainable practices for my Community Video enterprise while enlarging my focus to other community media approaches such as community radio, grassroots comics & grassroots newspapers to be part of an inclusive media ecosystem.

The power of the moving images that dazzled me as a young person fascinates me a little bit more every day. But instead of the magic of craft, now I see the emancipation through it. I believe in the potential of empowering people with media and the Columbia experience will support me in doing that.
...campaign against sexual abuse.

My longer term goal would be to develop sustainable practices for my Community Video----I think this notion deserves to have a few more sentences written about it.

At CBS, I look forward to strengthening my knowledge of financial structures and revenue models for a social enterprise. Membership to the Social Enterprise Club as well as and participation in the Global Social Venture Association is are sure to give me crucial hands-o n experience.

Good idea for you:
I do not have a romantic story to explain it, but I have always been in love with the cinema. it is too common for the student to say "I have always loved (name of subject)."

THIS is the good opening sentence for the essay!!! Excellent:
I love the dust that the dreams of celluloid are made of.---what a strange and intriguing sentence...

:-)
OP Kuber 1 / 1  
thanks a lot kevin

Home / Graduate / "from a filmmaker-trainer to a filmmaker-entrepreneur", Career Goals Essay for CBS