Follow in my sister's footsteps; PTCAS - decision making process

Mbacol 1 / -  
Hey all,

Any feedback would be great. Thanks! Very rough draft.
Describe your decision making process in choosing physical therapy as a career choice versus other health care careers.

I started my collegiate career in the health professions as a pre-pharmacy student at Temple University. I was almost certain that my path was chosen and that I would pursue a career in pharmacy and follow in my sister's footsteps. However, after two subpar years of struggling to find passion for the profession, I realized pharmacy was not destined for me. Although the path was chosen, it was not me who chose it. My heart and passion truly belonged in an area of study that incorporated the human body and ways of improving its efficiency through physical activity and exercise. My junior year is when I started taking anatomy and physiology courses and for the first time I truly enjoyed studying those courses. I knew that if I wanted to succeed collegiately and become a contributing professional in the healthcare society, physical therapy would be a path worth following.

After graduating in 2011 with a degree in kinesiology, I wanted to immerse myself deeper into the profession to really see if it was the right choice for me. I took a job as a rehabilitation aide at an outpatient physical therapy clinic where there was an abundance of exposure with an average of 85 patients daily. I assisted with an eclectic mix of patients ranging from musculoskeletal ailments to vestibular patients. One of the responsibilities I was excited to be in charge of was becoming the clinic's administrator of the ImPACT baseline concussion test, a computerized that tested cognitive function at baseline for amateur hockey players.

That first year as a rehab aide turned out to be the most pivotal for not only did it show me the demands of being a physical therapist, but my respect and love for the profession was reaffirmed. The ability to put into practice material I learned from anatomy books was exciting and rewarding. In my eyes, this was a continuation of my education. On a daily basis I had the opportunity to serve as a liaison between therapist and patient. Through these daily interactions, not only did my communication skills flourish, but I also developed the proper decorum and etiquette it takes for a patient to open up to you and trust you to guide them through their rehab. Towards the end of that first year, everything was coming together. My ability to learn quickly and handle multiple situations with ease led me to become one of the more trusted and dependable aides. I was turning into a leader.

After a year and two months of working as a rehab aide, I was promoted to the assistant office coordinator of the clinic. At first I was hesitant to accept this new role because initially I thought I would lose a lot of patient interaction. However, that was not the case. My new position opened my eyes to a lot of what goes on behind the scenes of a healthcare provider and some of the restrictions certain insurance companies place on therapist. This intrigued me because at times, an insurance company would dictate the direction of a therapist' rehab plan due to certain limitations. Despite this disheartening truth, it contributed to my knowledge of what it takes to be a physical therapist. As an aide I was serving as a liaison between therapists, but with the new position I was communicating between patient, clinician, insurance companies, and our billing center. This was an exciting challenge for me, for I knew with these new interactions, my professionalism and efficiency skills would excel. But most importantly, my leadership ability would be tested the most. While managing the office side of the clinic, I also had responsibility of training new rehabilitation aides. Traditionally, this was not the responsibility of the assistant office coordinator, but by request of the therapist as well as management I was asked to assist in this task. Nine months later, there was a vacancy at a new clinic of the company, where I was promoted to become the office coordinator. Currently, the new challenge that lies ahead of me is implementing new policies and procedures to a brand new clinic that has no precedent, a challenge that I look forward to taking head on.

Whether it be in the gym assisting patients or in the front office, the last two years of working at an outpatient physical therapy clinic has provided me with experiences that have played a major role in shaping the person I am today, and the person I want to be in the future, that is, a leader as a physical therapist. All these experiences have brought satisfaction, challenges, and appreciation, all of which I know will only guide me to succeed as a contributing professional in the health field.
I realized pharmacy was not destined for me. Although the path was chosen, it was not me who chose it. My heart and passion truly belonged in an area of study that incorporated the human body and ways of improving its efficiency through physical activity and exercise

Why you found out that pharmacy was not the path for you. Why did you suddenly got interested in human body? Those questions pop up in the reader's mind and you need to answer them. Be more descriptive about these points and convince the reader how your decision was formed to pursue a career in physical therapy.

Home / Graduate / Follow in my sister's footsteps; PTCAS - decision making process