"I found my way in Law school" - Statement of perpose for LLM

enmo 1 / 2  
Hi friends,
I just join to this forum. I am going to apply for Master of Law in US. My English is not very well. I wrote my SOP but I need others ideas about it. Would you plz look at it. I really doesn't have time, my deadline is very close.

While I was studying in high school I always wanted to go for a major by which I would be able to help people and the society. After doing a lot of research and consulting with my teachers, finally, I found my way in Law school. Since, I was studying mathematics in high school, to study law I had to change my major in college. It was a big challenge but 'all things are possible if you believe'. Finally, after passing a nationwide exam and also an oral exam (like a one day interview) I got the admission from one of the most outstanding universities in human and social sciences in ... which gave me the opportunity to study both bachelor of Law and bachelor of Islamic jurisprudence- which is not possible in any other university in my country. Studying about 170 credits in Law and Islamic principles, which Iranian rules and regulations roots in, provided me a comprehensive knowledge in Law and Islamic jurisprudence and enhanced my analytical and legal thinking. It is worth to mention that, in ISU I had an exceptional chance to study some additional legal courses in Arabic and English which enabled me to understand Arabic and English legal text book very well.

However, I believe to be a good lawyer studying theoretically is not enough. Knowing what is going on at the courts and how to practice law in real world cannot be achieved by studying text books only. Believing that having work experience is essential for students during university years, induced me to work in an attorney office as an assistant during the third year of my LLB; although, it was very hard to attend in my classes from morning to evening and then go to work till 9 pm. Then, due to my talent and competency, through the recommendation of two of the lawyers, whom I worked with, I got an internship in ...for the following summer. These experiences allowed me to study more sufficient and helped me to understand my courses better. Moreover, it made me familiar with all the issues that I would experience in my future work. Dealing with all the stuff in the office and communicating with different people, built my communication and managing skill for the future.

After getting admission from ... Bar association, I had all requirements to practice as a good national lawyer; a comprehensive knowledge both in law and Islamic jurisprudence -which is very essential to have mastery of ... National Law- and attorneyship license. However, in the highly communicated world of today, domestic legal information alone was not enough for me. On the other hand, my country with the huge amount of oil and gas reserves is significantly dependent on the petroleum industry and highly involved in international transactions in this sector but unfortunately there are very, very few legal professionals (about a handful in the entire country) in this area. Therefore, I decided to continue my study international business transactions especially in energy sector. In this regard, my best choice was studying master of International Commercial Law in ...., the most prestigious law university in my country. In order to get the admission, in addition to pass another nationwide exam, due to the sophistication of the courses presented in that program and the fact that the program would be delivered all in English, students had to take additional oral exam in English for some of the fundamental courses. Ultimately, having succeeded in all the exams with a very good rank (rank 40 among over 24000), I was able to get admission both in LLM and the scholarship from ...

At the same time, graduating from a very recognized university with good grades and having a unique job experience during studying LLB helped me to find a well positioned job in one of the most prominent companies in my country .... right after my graduation from LLB. Besides working as the Company's attorney, working as a legal expert for the company put me in charge of drafting and revising the contracts- both national and international- which made me more familiar with common legal concerns and problems in international business especially in developing countries. Being in touch with challenges in such contracts directed me to work on ...as my thesis in master.

All these experiences, attributes and challenges gave me inspiration and confidence to keep my attempts in this field of study, i.e International Energy Law. I have been looking for continuing my study in the university which provides me a dynamic learning environment and atmosphere for research and studying in this area with highly professional faculties. During my research I found out that my best chance about energy law is in the US. I heard about .... University and its professors from one of my best professors, ... Other than the expertise and excellence of the University of ...in energy and natural resources law what makes me to consider... among my first choices is that my unique opportunity to study related courses offered by other departments like business and petroleum economics. Working on a variety of contracts and cases showed me that if a lawyer wants to have a good understanding of a case or dispute, s/he has to be familiar with other related matters to that case. Moreover, my husband is studying his PhD in ... University and it is very important for me to study in a city close to him. It would be my honor to participate in this LLM program and improve my experience and knowledge through interaction with the great professors at that university and other students with different cultures, ideas and backgrounds, and back home with more valuable knowledge to help out my society.

Thanks for all your attention and the time you spend for reading this.
Best regards
Hi,

While I was studying in high school I always wanted to go for a major by which I would been able me to help people and the society. After doing a lot of research and consultingconsultation with my teachers, finally, I found my way in Law school. Since, I was studying mathematics in high school, to study law I had to change my major in college in order to study law . It was a biggreat challenge but I firmly believed that "all things are possible if you believe". Finally, after passing a nationwide exam and alsotogether with an oral exam (like a one day interview)(I feel you dont have to be that descriptive) I got thereceived admission fromto one of the most outstanding universities infor human and social sciences in ... which . This gave me the opportunity to study both bachelor of Law and bachelor of Islamic jurisprudence- which is not possible in any other university in my country.

GOOD LUCK!!
OP enmo 1 / 2  
Thanks a lot for your help.
It is worth to mention that, in ISU I had an exceptionala rare chance to study some additional legal courses in Arabic and English which enabled me tohelped me understand Arabic and English legal text books very well.

However, I believe to be a good lawyer studying theoreticallyI believe that theoretical knowledge alone is not enough to be a good lawyer . Knowing what is going on at the courts and how to practice law in real world cannot be achieved by studying text books only.Practical knowledge and experience also play an important role in this regard . Believing that having work experience is essential for students during university years,This reason induced me to work in an attorney office as an assistant during the third year of my LLB ; although (dont use a comma here) it was veryI struggled hard to attendinhave a balance between my classes from morning to eveningandthen go to work till 9 pm . ThenHowever , due to my talent and competency, through the recommendation of two of the lawyers, whom I worked with, I gotconsidering my skills and commitment, two of the lawyers with whom I worked recommended me for an internship in ...for the following summer with the recommendation of two lawyers with whom I workedand. Thesethis internship exposureexperiencesallowedhelped me to study law in depthmore sufficient and helped me to understand my courses better. Moreover, it made me familiar with all the issues that I would experience in my future workrelated to a career in law . Dealing with all the stuff in the office and communicating with different people, built my communication and managing skill for the future.I also had the opportunity to interact with different people while exposing my self in an office environment which helped me develop my communication and mangerial skills.
OP enmo 1 / 2  
Thank you, De Silva. Your quotes help me a lot. I really appreciate it.

Home / Graduate / "I found my way in Law school" - Statement of perpose for LLM