(grandfather's struggle with Parkinson's) Speech Pathology Graduate

Annika Miller 1 / -  
The human ability to produce language is something that I took for granted until my grandfather developed Parkinson's disease in 2008. My grandfather was once an eloquent speaker who loved explaining how the world works to anyone who would listen. He was the smartest man I knew and could explain anything in detail- from the anatomy of a turtle to the basics of quantum mechanics. In his late 60's, my grandfather started developing symptoms of Parkinson's disease. The disease ravaged his muscular system, making it difficult for him to eat, walk, and speak. While most people would assume that the inability to eat or walk without assistance would be the most devastating effects of Parkinson's, it was my grandfather's struggle to articulate his most basic thoughts that was the most difficult for him. The intense frustration and anxiety he experienced due to his speech disorder could be seen through his body language, which left my family feeling desperate to help him. Although my grandfather ultimately lost his battle with Parkinson's, he greatly benefited from a caring team of speech language pathologists who taught him alternative ways of communicating, which enhanced his confidence and quality of life.

My grandfather's struggle with Parkinson's left me extremely saddened, yet determined to positively affect the lives of people with speech and language disorders. I began to reevaluate my plans to become a teacher and started to investigate the field of speech-language pathology. As I finished my Master's degree in education, I took several undergraduate speech language pathology classes. I was also an intern teacher in the Minneapolis Public Schools where I worked with a diverse population of children, many of whom had disabilities such as autism and selective mutism that affected their ability to communicate. Most recently, I have been substitute teaching at a program for children with various disabilities and have had the opportunity to observe speech therapy sessions. I have also been volunteering as an aphasia research assistant at a non-profit organization dedicated to educating the public about disabilities. My experiences working in the public schools, as well as my grandfather's illness, have opened my eyes to the impact that speech language pathologists can make on a person's ability to communicate. My future goal is to become a speech-language pathologist who works in a clinical rehabilitation setting with stroke victims and people with Parkinson's and traumatic brain disorders. It is my hope that as a graduate student at the University of Wyoming, I will have the opportunity to work in the Chang Lab so I can begin to understand the neurological processes involved in speech, which will better equip me to help future clients.
Prettywings 1 / 74  
I think you have a good essay here. Your introduction grabs the reader's attention and the story about your grandfather is moving. The only suggestion I would make is having a better conclusion. You express an interest in working in the Chang Lab, but only state that you believe it will "better equip" you to serve future clients. Perhaps you can discuss other aspects of the Chang Lab that you find are relevant to your ultimate goals. You may also want to end your essay by connecting it with your introduction. Even if it is something as simple as you wanting to help clients suffering from the same affliction as your grandfather.

On a side note, your story is very similar to my own. I was working on my teacher's certification, but developed an interest in Speech Pathology. I later opted to pursue another area of interest, but I feel you are well on your way to accomplishing your goals.

Home / Graduate / (grandfather's struggle with Parkinson's) Speech Pathology Graduate