Essay highlighting my journey with stuttering for Communication Disorders

Sk8erSLPtobelol 1 / 1  
Hello,

I am applying to graduate school starting Spring 2012 for a MS in Communication Disorders. (Speech-Language Pathology)
I have attached my statement of purpose below. I will greatly appreciate all forms of feedback.

Also, in my conclusion I would like to change my last line to something what Dr. Lee Reeves, Former Chairman of the National Stuttering Association said, "You never know who you are going to touch and how they are going to be touched."

I find the phrase very empowering. Unfortunately, I just don't know how I can add that! :(

----------------------------------------------------------------- ----- --------------------------------------------------

"Stuttering is everything we do trying not to stutter." Words from the late Dr. Charles Van Riper who was arguably the pioneer of Speech-Language Pathology had found their way easing out of my mouth as I began my presentation as part of my own speech therapy. After much contemplation over choosing between Dr. Riper's autobiography and the recent NIH stuttering-genetics study headed by Dr. Drayna, I settled for the former. Much to my therapist's surprise at the choice of my topic, we soon realized that besides wanting to be an effective communicator, I was also greatly interested in the etiology, treatment and assessment of communication disorders in general.

From my initial pre-therapy appointment wherein I stuttered so hard on my name that it took me over a minute just to phonate, I have come a long way. Post therapy, armed with not only speaking tools, I had also desensitized my feared perception of speech. Sharing a strong therapist-client alliance inculcated in me qualities such as patience and self-belief. Within the same semester of receiving therapy, my new found confidence helped me deliver many technical presentations and participate proactively in the IIChe, the local chemical engineering student's chapter.

But, I found that engineering did not give me the sense of fulfillment I craved. In the clinic, my interactions with children and adults facing conditions such as autism, acquired apraxia of speech, voice and language disorders had me scuttling between my therapist and the internet in an attempt to learn more about such disorders. I found articles published in the American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology about various communication disorders and Ms. Lougeay's presentations on fluency disorders accessible through the University of Texas-Dallas archives very informative. These meaningful interactions with the clients and the nature of my therapist's work definitely struck a cord and my innate desire to help began to blossom.

One of the highlights of my engineering degree was the successful completion of my senior year research project 'Manufacture of Nitrochlorobenzene'. Exposed to the systematic planning and teamwork involved in the project, I quickly developed an inclination towards conducting research. With Evidence-Based Practice serving as an essential pillar for the field of speech-language pathology, the component of external research evidence holds crucial. Having recognized this aspect, it is alarming to read about the shortage of PhD prepared professionals in communication sciences and disorders. Closely studying the broad spectrum of research conducted in the Callier Center, I find the work carried out in areas such as autism by Dr. Stillman and Dr. Rollins and developmental language disorders by Dr. Dollaghan highly engaging. I also closely relate to Ms. Lougeay's interests regarding early intervention and stuttering. With so many interesting avenues open to the young researcher, I envision a terminal degree outlined as a future career goal.

As an individual who now looks at his disability as a gift, I am very grateful for my stutter and even more grateful for having the opportunity to learn about this fascinating field. With speech-language pathology services branching out in the form of tele-practice and even corporate speech-language pathology, I have become aware of its ever-growing presence and sincerely wish to be a part of it. I truly believe that the University of Texas-Dallas, with its unparalleled academic, clinical and research opportunities, will serve as an ideal platform for me to grow both academically and as an individual. It is with distinct enthusiasm that I look forward to being a part of the class of Spring 2012.
Since my initial pre-therapy appointment, wherein I stuttered so hard on my name that it took me over a minute just to phonate, I have come a long way.

But, I found that engineering did not give me the sense of fulfillment that I craved.

In the clinic, my interactions with children and adults facing conditions such as autism and acquired apraxia of speech, voice and language disorders had me scuttling between my therapist and the internet in an attempt to learn more about such disorders.

Your essay is clearly written and very interesting. When I was about 5 years old, I developed a stuttering problem which lasted for about 2 1/2 years, and also had to work with a therapist. I understand your desire and what you've been through, if only a little, and I hope all the best for you. For the end of your essay, you could add the quote by Dr. Reeves by saying how you long to be a part of this school and weave it into the fabric of your life story, as '' In the words of Dr. ...You never know..."

Good luck with school!

:)
OP Sk8erSLPtobelol 1 / 1  
Thank you so much for rectifying those tiny grammatical errors. I always end up making those!

'In the clinic, my interactions with children and adults facing conditions such as autism and acquired apraxia of speech, voice and language disorders had me scuttling between my therapist and the internet in an attempt to learn more about such disorders.'

You have added 'and' in between autism and acquired apraxia of speech. Autism and apraxia are two separate conditions, although they can co-exist. I added 'and' in between voice and language disorders because it would sound repetitive writing - voice disorders and language disorders. Again, they are both separate conditions.

This is my opinion. Please let me know what you think.

You got me thinking about Dr. Reeves phrase. I had nearly abandoned ship ha ha. I'll try playing around with it again!

Home / Graduate / Essay highlighting my journey with stuttering for Communication Disorders