Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

Master of Computer Science Statement of purpose - review & suggestion

teddies 1 / -  

Computer Science Statement of purpose

Dear University X Admissions Committee,

I am writing to express my ambition and motivation to pursue the Master of Computer Science program at your university. With my strong passion for innovation, competitive talent in programming and excellent academic performance, I firmly believe I would be a good match for the program.

I was born in Vietnam in 1998 in a mediocre family. The place where and when I grew up, the internet was a thing, but it was not widely accessible and affordable to everyone. The primary source of knowledge we acquired was mainly books and school education. I am not keen on reading books, but computer science books always got my attention. Before starting my sixth grade at school (in the Vietnam K-12 Education System), I had thoroughly read the Computer Science Textbook for Grade 6th and borrowed the latter textbooks for higher grades from my seniors. In the eighth-grade book, I learned the existence of programming languages, which has influenced my academic and career goals. Pascal was my first programming language.

Most of my classmates considered programming as the most challenging subject at school. While they could not bear the fact that a missing semi-colon makes a program completely useless, I enthusiastically elaborated on it. Thanks to my teacher, I got to attend the computer science class for gifted students, where I got to study algorithms and data structures. It took me headaches to fully understand how recursion and backtracking work, but it helped me solve almost every task in high school coding tournaments. I won first place in the district-level high school computer science competition in the 8th and 9th grades, then again at the provincial level in the 11th and 12th grades. These contests gathered hundreds of gifted students from all schools in my province.

After high school, I studied at University F, a university in Vietnam renowned for innovation, particularly in computer science, with a scholarship. I was particularly keen on the JavaScript programming language when I acknowledged that I could make a program "self-invented" itself by using "eval". I had always thought about the idea but could not implement such a thing in Pascal or C, and my love for that programming language shaped me to become a professional FullStack JavaScript Developer, which I still currently do as an occupation. Despite the intense curriculums and the rigorous courses at my university, I managed to graduate with a Very Good Bachelor's Degree with a GPA of 8/10 while doing my part-time job as a web developer since my second year of university.

After an internship and a year working at Company F, the most prominent outsourcing company in Vietnam, I got the chance to work with experts in the field, taking part in large-scale projects within constrained timelines. After two years at Company V, the first Vietnamese unicorn, I have become one of the key members of the Z platform, which supports businesses to deliver their utilities on Z, a messaging application used every day by almost every Vietnamese. Despite excelling at what I do, sometimes I recognize that I was reinventing someone else's wheel the whole time. I dream that one day, I will be the one to discover new algorithms that are efficient in both time and space or invent new frameworks that help software developers deliver products faster and effortlessly. However, to make a significant impact on the field, I need to broaden my knowledge base while deepening my expertise in cutting-edge technology development.

I am particularly attracted to University X's Computer Science program because of its comprehensive curriculum, especially the advanced courses with compiler construction and algorithms. The optional courses also cover various topics that I am eager to delve into, noteworthy those related to machine learning and theoretical computer science, which would acquire me the necessary set of skills for taking part in the revolution of AI and quantum computing to come. Furthermore, the prospect of studying at X's state-of-the-art facilities, guided by world-renowned faculty members, and along with passionate international friends is intriguing. Nevertheless, X's reputation and strong connections with industry leaders perfectly align with my ambition to pursue a research-oriented position in academia or industry after graduation.

I am confident that my self-developed talent, skills and experience make me a strong candidate for the X Master of Computer Science program. I am a hard-working student and employee, passionate about computer science, and eager to learn from the best. I am confident that I will thrive at X and make a significant contribution to the program.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
My Name.

Home / Graduate / Master of Computer Science Statement of purpose - review & suggestion