Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

PhD sop - life sciences

navindavid 1 / -  
hi all

I am applying for a phd in life sciences and have attached my sop below, please check and post your suggestions,

Transplantation of cells, tissues and organs are considered to be huge milestones and breakthroughs in the field of medicine. A complete non functionality of a biological system within the human body leads to dreadful complications and hence the need for advanced transplantation procedures. The feasibility of current Allotransplantation procedures have almost resulted in giving a second life to affected patients and consequently a very high demand for organ donors. To meet such inadequacy of organs, new modes of transplantation have been under extensive research. Xenome transplantation is one such method which promises to be the best alternative for organs from pigs. But adversely, porcine endogenous retroviruses have found to be transmitted into the recipient which leads to a disease onset.

I have developed a great interest in this topic since it remains to be a promising field which could be a revolution in near future. When xenome transplantation is completely characterised, it could be one of the most unparalleled accomplishments for scientists in scientific history and a miracle for many hopeless lives.

Adverse or beneficial, as a scientist I have always been fascinated by the beauty of nature (biology). I have specialized myself in a field that extensively deals in understanding the biology of diseases and molecular medicine. My previous research projects till the current internship project I am involved with, reflect exactly my research interests. Therefore, I wanted to capitalise on my research interests, knowledge, experience and ability to do a doctoral programme. My ultimate objective is to establish myself as a renowned researcher and hence my dream to do a PhD became mandatory.

The projects "Identification of host cellular factors that inhibit PERV replication" and "Identifying novel emerging pathogens in xenome transplantation" have captivated me so much. On a literature search on the topics, I found it so much fascinating to understand the replication of PERV, its ability to evade host cellular factors and the need to identify and combat the other emerging zoonotic pathogens. My knowledge in subjects like virology, molecular biology, pathology etc have enabled me to understand the concept efficiently. The most significant factor is that, I have been involved in a practical research work at xxxx university which includes my MSc project and my current internship project and hence I am well informed of the quality of research facilities and labs available for research students and also to work under the supervision of renowned research staff like Dr.xxxxxx would be a privellege.

I have framed a logical approach to this project "to identify and characterise the cellular factors that restrict the expression of PERV" and assume it to be the theme of research.

The first phase of approach would be to characterise the nature of PERV in terms of replication, specific host receptor binding and mode of infection. The second phase would be to understand and analyse the natural host defence mechanisms which include NK cells, RNA interference, Cytokines (IFN-2, IFN-), dominant negative mutants (Cyclin T) and use of gene expression inhibitors. Here I would be specifically interested to focus on RNAi (siRNA) since the invention of application of siRNAs have won a nobel prize and is considered to be significant factor for treating various diseases. Also siRNA have shown to inhibit the replication of PERV invitro (ref). Thus the analyses of these specific cellular factors against PERV would help us understand the specific mechanism through which these factors restrict the expression of PERV. Also a further analysis of viral genomes would help to identify other emerging viruses and candidate genes that regulate the expression of these viruses. Thus a complete characterisation of host cellular factors against these zoonotic pathogens and identification of new viruses would enable to achieve a pathogen free xenome transplantation.

I have a strong academic background and my Bachelor and Master degrees have moulded me into a specialist in this field. I have a very good knowledge in scientific protocols and techniques such as recombinant cloning and transformation, Immunoblotting techniques, Real -Time and qualitative PCRs, Real-Time Spectrofluorometer, etc. I have also familiarised myself with Bioinformatic tools and databases as I have mentioned in my CV. I have very good project management skills and efficient in scientific report writing and IT skills. I have strong communication and analytical skills which reflect on my high scores in GRE and Toefl examinations. I have made several paper and poster presentations in various universities on topics such as Stress tolerant plants, Bcr-Abl oncogene, Epigenetics, gap junctions etc. and won prizes. I also developed the attitude to attend various conferences, symposiums conducted at different universities and institutes.

Apart from my academic side, I am personally an affable person with a good sense of humor. I am very much interested in music and I am member of xxxx University choir.

With a mindset to excel I am confident that I would overcome any challenges I would face and my international experience would be an advantage to help me accustom to any environments easily. It is my strong attitude of hard work, which makes me hungry and thirsty for accomplishments. I would definitely serve better and bring glory to the institution if I am given a chance. Thus, I could use all my skills, experiences and knowledge to successfully complete a doctoral programme in an assigned period of time.

many thanks

david

Home / Graduate / PhD sop - life sciences