The physical therapy profession: Graduate Admissions Essay for DPT

lgann83 1 / -  
My essay had to include 5 factors:
1. reasons for pursuing physical therapy
2. explanation of my understanding of the scope of the physical therapy profession
3. What it means to be a professional
4. How one demonstrates professional behavior in the classroom
and 5. description of my physical therapy experiences

Here is my essay. I feel like I might be too vague on the last 3 points but dont really know how to incorporate them cohesively into this essay. Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks ahead of time for taking a minute to help me out!

I will never forget the moment that I heard the doctors telling me that my grandfather had suffered a stroke and was expected to never walk again. Before his stroke he was the most active and playful man I knew, and that had all changed overnight. I couldn't fathom the thought of watching my grandpa live out the rest of his life in a wheelchair. Fortunately, that was never a reality for either of us.

I remember visiting my grandfather during his stay at an inpatient rehabilitation facility and being greeted by him at the elevator. He was using a walker! Seeing the recovery that had taken place in only a couple of weeks was astonishing. It was due to my grandfather's will and motivation and the physical therapists that pushed him every day that he was back in no time, shoveling the snow and walking his dog. From that point on, I was in awe of the physical therapy profession and the amazing outcomes that are a direct result of their skills, knowledge, and passion to help people maximize their quality of life.

When it came time to attend college I was faced with the decision of choosing a major. For most it can be a difficult one, but for me it was simple. I wanted to become a physical therapist. I wanted to return the blessing that I had once been given and have the honor of restoring someone else's loved one's well being. I entered school with this field in mind, however, obstacles came along that altered my path and I ended up attending a college that didn't offer a physical therapy program. I decided art therapy would be a great choice because it still incorporated my prime criteria helping others and working with people in need.

After I graduated, I worked as a social worker for three years. I worked in a variety of settings with a variety of populations. I enjoyed what I was doing, but there was always an underlying sense that it wasn't for me, that I was capable of more. A little over a year ago I was laid off and had a lot of time to reevaluate my future goals and where my passions truly lied. I knew I had the opportunity of a lifetime to fulfill my long ago dream of becoming a physical therapist.

I started researching what it means to be a physical therapist and everything I read seemed to further persuade me towards graduate school. From my previous jobs, I have worked in the health care field and gained experience working as an integral part of an interdisciplinary team, doing evaluations and assessments, creating treatment plans, and working one on one with patients. I learned that I could utilize my previous skills in the health care field but be able to apply so much more. By helping patients with limited use of their own bodies due to injury or disability, physical therapists work to improve their patient's functioning abilities, but in turn also improve their spirit, and that, to me is the beauty that I see in this career. The more I investigated the more certain I became that I was intended to be a physical therapist regardless what it took.

I am not going to lie, the thought of returning to school was intimidating, but I hit the ground running. I enrolled in school with a different level of maturity, determination and responsibility necessary to succeed in my classes. I was instantly taken away by how fascinating my courses were. Learning about the intricate, delicate structures and functions of the human body was memorizing. The idea of graduate school became more intriguing knowing that I would obtain even more knowledge and expertise that I could one day apply and share with patients. The further I get into my prerequisites, the more integrity and respect I have for the profession and the knowledge physical therapists embody.

Having the opportunity to observe physical therapists in a variety of settings was one of the more assuring experiences I have had to date. The last experience I had was working with a therapists in an inpatient and outpatient neurological rehabilitation facility. This internship in particular became a proving factor for me. Everything about it was inspiring. I loved how physically demanding the job was. I loved witnessing the progress I could see the patients were making on a day-to-day basis. I admired the knowledge the therapists had about the human body and the rehabilitation processes and their ability to educate their patients regarding this information. I would return home in a euphoric state, excited about the professional challenges ahead of me. It inspired me unlike anything I have ever experienced.

Reflecting on the experiences that have lead to me where I am today in my academic career, I can sum them all up into one word: revelatory. Each one adding more and more reason and justification for the sacrifices I've made to get this point. I think I have what it takes to be accepted into the Doctorate Physical Therapy Program at Northern Illinois because I have the maturity, determination, passion that a student at the graduate level is expected to exemplify. I am an inquiring soul that is always searching for truth and knowledge. I am extremely hard working and dedicated but also have a sense of humor that helps people relate to me. I have professional experience in the health care field which requires one to be empathic, kind and supportive. Through my experiences I have developed my interpersonal and communication skills necessary to become a physical therapy student and professional. I think I would be a valuable addition to Northern's DPT Program because I know that I will continue to be enthused and passionate about this field and would love the opportunity to make a difference in the physical therapy community.
Fortunately, that never became a reality for either of us. (I just thought it sounded better like this) :)

For most, it can be a difficult one, but for me it was simple.

I knew this was the opportunity of a lifetime to fulfill my long ago dream of becoming a physical therapist.

At my previous jobs, I have worked in the...

The more I investigated, the more certain I became that I was intended to be a physical therapist regardless of what it took.

To be honest , the thought of returning to school was intimidating, but I hit the ground running.

Learning about the intricate, delicate structures and functions of the human body was mesmerizing.I'm assuming this was the word you meant to write (?)

The last experience I had was working with a therapist in an ...

I am extremely hard working and dedicated, but also have a sense of humor that helps people relate to me.

... because I know that I will continue to be enthused---this seems like it should be 'enthusiastic', but I could be wrong about it. and passionate about this field and would love the opportunity to make a difference in the physical therapy community.

Your essay is great, and I think you definitely covered all five factors! Good luck in school!
mea505 - / 265  
Hi Lindsay!

I have seen Kevin's suggestions and corrections, so I will not be redundant. You have an excellent essay here -- and I like the topic. I, too, have been effected by the world of physical therapy, but in a different way. I have offered two suggestions below; they concern the use of the semi-colon.

--Mark

For most, it can be a difficult one, but for me it was simple.simple; I wanted to become a physical therapist.
--> This is where a semi-colon can be extremely helpful.

I entered school with this field in mind,mind; however, obstacles came along that altered my path and I ended up attending a college that didn't offer a physical therapy program.

--> Another sentence when the semi-colon is helpful.

Home / Graduate / The physical therapy profession: Graduate Admissions Essay for DPT