'The profession of a Physician's Assistant meets my goals' - Personal Narrative Essay

jduffucf89 2 / 2  
My name is Justin Duffy, I'm 22 years old, and I live in Orlando Florida. I am happy to tell you of the events that lead to my decision to become a Physician's Assistant. As a former athlete and current bodybuilding enthusiast, I saw the need to educate myself in sports nutrition and supplements. During the process of my taking in this knowledge, I discovered that I have a profound interest in the human body and its related physiology. Chemistry, Nutrition, Microbiology, subjects I scoffed at as a youngster, were now viewed with much enthusiasm. I came to the realization that my career path would certainly have to be in the Medical Science field.

As I explored my options, I wanted to find an occupation that offered a broad range of specialties to choose from as well as the potential for advancement in research and technology. The profession of a Physician's Assistant seemed to meet my career goals, but I wasn't sure so I decided to examine it further to see if this was something I really wanted to pursue. I simply could not rely on hearsay or median salary so I embarked on a mission to shadow PAs in a variety of specializations and I've had some amazing experiences.

I must tell about the experience when I traveled to Manhatten, N.Y. and stayed there for a week in order to shadow the PA's who worked in the Medical Examiners office where my dad retired as a Detective Investigator of Missing Persons. Yes, I had the unique experience of shadowing in one of the busiest Autopsy Labs in the U.S. In this setting the PA's work closely with Forensic Pathologists performing autopsies, crime scene investigations, and assessing the cause of death. I was able to ride in the Coroners vehicle with the PA and Medical Examiner as they covered all five boroughs and I observed them in action from the moment they arrived on the scene. I saw the PA thoroughly photograph the body, search for trauma wounds and other abnormalities, then write a report based on the findings. I recall once we were going to a location where a person was dead for a number of days and the body was decomposed. I was warned in a humorous way to go outside if I had to throw up. I thought to myself, "how bad could the smell of a decomposed body actually be?" I did not know what to expect but I told myself that I would be cool and not make any facial expressions or gestures that would reflect my thinking. When the smell hit me, I remember my chest thrusting forward as if someone delivered a tough blow to my abdomen. I struggled to keep my composure hoping the nausea would not over-rule. The smell of decomposition is absolutely horrific!

Perhaps the most intriguing portion of this shadowing experience was having the opportunity to view autopsies up close and in person. To see the anatomy of the human body in a textbook is one thing, but to view and observe it at the gross level is a totally different learning experience. I remember staring in disbelief as I viewed a heart, liver, and brain for the first time! To see these organs in three-dimensions and being able to hold and feel them really heightened my appreciation and passion for anatomy and physiology!

I couldn't wait to share my unique experience with the undergraduate students in my histology class. Many of them were pursuing goals to become Medical Doctors or dentists. As the lone one who was aspiring to become a PA, I had the opportunity to offer them an interesting presentation on my unique experience and they were fascinated. The reception that I received demonstrated to me how my role as a PA would be filled with many interesting events to look forward to.

Of course I shadowed PA's and surgeons in other specialties including orthopedics, dermatology, cardiology as well as family practice. I've come to understand that PA's must be adept in their knowledge of a variety of concepts ranging from pharmacodynamics to pathophysiology and anatomy both at the gross and microscopic levels. Skill and understanding patient ethics are equally important.

I firmly believe that the education and training I've received as an undergraduate student will prove helpful in laying a solid foundation for me to build upon as I navigate my way through PA school. I expect there will be challenges, I expect to have some stress, and those can be good things if they are viewed in a positive light. I view the challenges as learning experiences and opportunities to improve and I view the stress as motivation. I frequently browse through the course curriculum and descriptions that I will encounter during the PA didactic portion. I can almost taste the satisfaction that I know awaits when this portion is completed and the depth and wide array of knowledge I will have obtained. I'm not just ready to start; I actually cannot wait to start!
Very nice intro and opening paragraph :)
I must tell about the experience when I traveled to Manhattan, N.Y. ...Let me please praise you for your candor, humor and the sheer intrigue of such an experience. I am so glad you included this, it truly makes your essay unique and original :)

Of course I have shadowed PA's and surgeons in other specialties...
... I'm not just ready to start; I actually cannot wait!! to start

Excellent!!! :)

Home / Graduate / 'The profession of a Physician's Assistant meets my goals' - Personal Narrative Essay