'a research assistant' - SoP for doctoral studies in Robotics

bbferka 1 / -  
Hello everybody,

I was absolutely thrilled to stumble upon this great forum a couple of days ago while doing some research for my statement of purpose for a doctoral study in the field of Robotics.

I would kindly like to ask you to share your thoughts with me regarding the SoP I have written.

I am XYZ, a research assistant at the XYZ Group of the X University of Y, headed by Prof. name PhD. Hereby I would like to apply for the PhD position in Robotics announced by your University. My purpose in applying to the School of Computer Science and Communication for doctoral studies is to continue my research into object perception and to prepare myself for a career in research and development in the field of robotics.

I graduated from my bachelor studies at the Technical University of X in the field of Automation and Applied Informatics and received my masters degree in Advanced Manufacturing Control at the same institution. My first contact with the field of robotics was as student, through an introductory course to robotic control systems. As I started to develop a fascination for this field, I began to follow the progress and evolution that defined it later on. Although the major of my studies was control engineering I have a great interest for the fields of robotics, computer vision and AI, and was always keen to participate in any activity related to them.

During the years of my studies I always showed an interest for systems that interact with the surrounding world and which can have an impact on day to day life. This curiosity was the relevant factor that led me in choosing my summer internships and bachelor thesis. Working on these I learned a lot about how to approach complex and real world problems, improving both my analytical and programming skills.

I was and I am fascinated by how robotics first revolutionized the manufacturing industry and now with the latest technological advances is getting closer and closer to significantly change the everyday life of people. Therefore I chose to do my research for my masters thesis at the X University of Y in the field of robotic vision and perception systems. During this internship I worked on the implementation of an object classification library, a framework designed to offer a lightweight skeleton for easy and unified implementation of 3D object classification algorithms and the development of a novel classification method, based on object over-segmentation.

The four month research at the XYZ Group has been an important milestone in my professional development. As of September 2011, in order to gain research experience in the area, after successfully graduating from my masters program, I continued working as a research assistant at the group. My research focuses on RGBD household object detection and classification in cluttered scenes using various machine learning techniques. Lately I have been also interested in the methods of learning reaching motions from human demonstrations through various programming by demonstration approaches.

Working as a research assistant, working on my first publications and participating at my first conference helped me get a good insight on the current challenges in robotics as well as what it means to work in an academic environment. I came to realize that I want to deepen my knowledge in this field and become a PhD student.

Although I have been exposed to a variety of fields and methodologies, in the future I would like to dedicate my research efforts to solving perception and vision problems in robotics. I believe, that although significant advances have been made regarding perception and vision in the last few years, there is still a variety of compelling issues to warrant thorough research. I feel that the position offered by your institution could be a great challenge for me and it really triggers my interest. I consider the real-time tracking of objects and hands one of the crucial parts of robotics, especially when it comes to dynamic environments where humans and robots have to cooperate.

I believe that enrolling at your University would give me the chance to further expand my knowledge and to gain experience in this field. If I were to be admitted to School of Computer Science and Communication, I am confident that I would make the most of the opportunity and with my background, experience, ability to think independently, practical skills and research ability, I would be able to make a substantive contribution towards the academic and research undertakings in this intriguing field.

I would be happy to discuss my research and how my skills might be of value to the XYZ Lab and the ABC group anytime.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
XY

Thank you for your time in advance
natarinc 1 / 2  
Bbferka, your SOP looks great. Here are some small adjustments;

During the years of my studies I have always showed an interest for systems that interact with the surrounding world and which can have an impact on day to daydaily life. This curiosity was the relevant factor that led me in choosing my summer internships and bachelor thesis. ByWw orking on these I learned a lot about how to approach complex and real world problems, improving both my analytical and programming skills.

I was and I amI am very much fascinated by how robotics first revolutionized the manufacturing industry and now with the latest technological advances is getting closer and closer to significantly change the everyday life of people. Therefore I chose to do my research for my masters thesis at the X University of Y in the field of robotic vision and perception systems. During this internship I worked on the implementation of an object classification library, a framework designed to offer a lightweight skeleton for easy and unified implementation of 3D object classification algorithms and the development of a novel classification method, based on object over-segmentation.

ByWw orking as a research assistant, working on my publishing my first publications and participating at my first conference helped me get agained good insight on the current challenges in robotics as well as what it means to work in an academic environment. I came to realize that I want to deepen my knowledge in this field and become a PhD student.

Although I have been exposed to a variety of fields and methodologies, in the future I would like to dedicate my research efforts in to solving perception and vision problems in robotics. I believe, that although significant advances have been made regarding perception and vision in the last few years, there is still a variety of compelling issues to warrant thorough research. I feel that the position offered by your institution could be a great challenge for me and it really triggers my interest. I consider the real-time tracking of objects and hands one of the crucial parts of robotics, especially when it comes to dynamic environments where humans and robots have to cooperate.

I believe that enrolling at your University would give me the chance to further expand my knowledge and to gain experience in this field. If I were to be admitted to School of Computer Science and Communication, I am confident that I would make the most out of thethis opportunity and along with my background, experience, ability to think independently, practical skills and research ability, I would be able to make a substantive contribution towards the academic and research undertakings in this intriguing field.

Good Luck!

Home / Graduate / 'a research assistant' - SoP for doctoral studies in Robotics