Science and maths -- SOP for MS Telecommunication in US.

dataeasydubai 1 / -  
Hi Moderator,
Please edit& correct and add your opinion on my SOP; I am applying for MS Telecommunication in US
Thanks

Though the world is filled with mysteries and unanswered questions it is the way that humans have engineered their way through life that intrigues me the most. During my school years it was TV shows like junkyard wars and mega structures that piqued my curiosity.These fascinations along with the consistent top grades that I received in science and maths paved the way for my entry into science stream.

Right from seventh grade my dad ensured that I spent time in his office (computer software,hardware and networking ) during weekends and vacations. At the end of my tenth grade I could assemble a p.c,modelling a local network and marketing all the accounting packages and network products under our roof. As my dad and sister are computer engineers, we thought it would be better if we had someone with expertise in the electronics and communication field as our long term goal is to expand our business in the communication sector . Being placed among the top 10% in the National Standard Examinations in Physics (IOAPT) further strengthened my belief and I decided to take up Electronics and Communication .

I got into the College of engineering ,Guindy (CEG one of the top ten engineering schools of India ) studying along with top intellectuals never intimidated me ,I only felt it brought the best out of me. The first two years we mostly dealt with electronics and mathematics, I spent more time on extra-curricular and other social activities during this phase and it started reflecting on my grades ,Icould have balanced it a lot better . I still managed to do well in subjects like electronic devices,electromagnetic fields and waves,transmission lines and waveguides.We now started learning subjects like communication theory and random processes ,these subjects really interested me and I started spending more time on studies . Leading me to design a FM Transceiver ,this was my first project and I was very lucky to be guided by Ms. Sujatha . I noticed the huge impact that FM and AM has brought in real time communications and wondered what advanced principles like

OFDM would have to offer .

I decided to gain more knowledge in the practical arena and attended an industrial training in the White House Business solutions , they were primarily involved in the textile fabricating process,to make the textile dyeing process a foolproof one they had a data logger kit that captured all digital and analog data stored it in a centralised server using a wireless modem.Hence trouble shooting (by voice & image)became easier. I had the opportunity to study the the live operational system in the GUDUVANCHERY PLANT.

I started to spend a lot of time with the R & D team and learnt a lot of things I would never have learnt in a classroom environment .Completely fascinated with way things worked there I decided to do a project with my friend based on their factory setup. The project was a factory communication system using ZigBee technology ,the purpose of the project was to design an instrument system to communicate and record the data between machines ,operators ,technicians and computer server. Though we could have simply used data loggers and customised SCADA software , we additionally wanted communication and recording between persons ,explanation of the fault arising and sending the data to a person in move .Hence in our system, the computer server attached with a the wireless X-Bee PRO module ,continuously scans the status of the machine and is transmitted by Unicast Transmission . The data is recorded in the computer and these are routed to the concerned person to take action by sending the required data directly to the person's kit . At every stage we were guided and our progress was closely monitered by the R&D team , my project guide not only helped us with the funding but also made it very easy for us by sharing his vast experience.

After completing the project I definitely felt there was a lot of room for improvement first of all the instrument could have been made to have a better aesthetic look and reduced size for easy handling . The software can be made to include more user friendly operations like SMS and better voicing system. Finally and most importantly we can further improve the set up by including a barcode system ,to track the fabric at any stage of operation ,which if incorporated would greatly better the existing set-up.

Simultaneously while doing the project I had the oppurtunity to learn and work with softwares like MATLAB,NETSIM and NS 2 at college.Using MATLAB we worked on spectrum analysis using FFT, filter design and analysis ,multirate and adaptive filters and for the analysis of the MAC protocols I learnt to use the Netsim simulator. For Wireless and Mobile communication we (group of 3 )successfully simulated a Two-ray ground reflection model channel type using NS 2 .

After starting with the projects my understanding of the subject greatly improved and so did my grades .I did well in subjects like digital communication,digtial switiching and transmission and computer networks .Though I had planned to do masters in communications much before its only now that I felt completetly sure about it and had a strong liking towards this field.

During my second year break I worked for BHASH SOFTWARE LABS , my work was to market a product that helped schools communicate directly to the parents via sms (sending grades and announcements). I learnt the specefics involved and owe it to my colleagues for their support.

As mentioned earlier i spent most of my time in the first two years on extra-curriculars ,actively partcipated in almost all debating competitions that came my way, placed third in the INTER-COLLEGE(national) DEBATE ON POPULATION AND DEVELOPMENT organised by the INDIAN ASSOCIATION OF PARLIAMENTARIANS ON P AND D, NEW DELHI, won english debates conducted by CMI,CEG,NIT(trichy) to name a few.

I was elected secretary of PHOENIX 2009(event) and later P.R.O. 2010 Of the ROTARACT club of CEG. We used the profits made by conducting events in some welfare projects like building shelter for AIDS affected children (2009) and building an orphanage karununailam(2008).
oppurtunity opportunity

I think you need one more sentence in that first paragraph. Add a sentence to the end. The sentence about fascinations and high grades is very good, but you can add another sentence to the end of that first paragraph, and it will be the idea you give the reader to keep in mind while reading... your main idea.

Capitalize the E
College of Engineering

BHASH SOFTWARE LABS--- get rid of all the capital letters you used unnecessarily. Toward the end of the essay, you have a lot of things written in all caps, and that is not good.

Add the word "and"
...and won english debates
Capitalize the E:
and won English debates...

:-)

Home / Graduate / Science and maths -- SOP for MS Telecommunication in US.