SOP for admission in a course of statistics & machine learning

jrakhshanda 1 / -  

The AI revolution

As a student and lecturer of Mathematics, I have decided to continue my Masters of Science degree to do further study in Machine Learning and database management. I firmly believe that inquisitive and explorative attitude leads to a constant learning process. Machine Learning, a subfield of Artificial Intelligence (AI) is a quickly growing field having its applications in nearly every other field of study. The AI revolution is going to redefine human-computer interaction in the future is on its way, of which I wish to be a part of. Recent developments in the field show that the future is going to be driven by intelligent systems and computers. I believe that this field has immense challenges and opportunities to keep me excited for a lifetime.

I earned my undergraduate degree in Mathematics at the University of Punjab. Then I did Masters of Science in Mathematics from National University of Computer & Emerging Sciences. During my studies, I learned numerous subjects like Calculus, Discrete Mathematics, Linear Algebra, Computational Algebra, Advanced Mathematical Statistics, Computer Applications, Graph Theory, Numerical Analysis, and Advanced Functional Analysis. I always enjoyed the practical aspects of my studies. I strongly believe that my thorough training on the areas of Mathematics and Statistics hones my analytical ability, which will facilitate my Machine Learning study in Algorithm design and analysis domain.

I had worked on Master dissertation titled as "Super (a, d) Antimagic Total Labeling of Non-Isomorphic Copies of Harary Graphs" under the supervision of Dr. Akhlaq Ahmad Bhatti. I developed a strong understanding in the graph labeling. I felt honored that I got highest Grade (A) and compliments from my teacher on my in-depth research analysis on graph labeling. Graph Labeling is used in many applications like coding theory, communication network addressing and database management.

After completing my Master's degree, I started teaching at leading Pakistani universities at Mathematics and Computer Science Departments. Since then I have been teaching, to pursue advanced knowledge in computational algebra, discrete and applied mathematics. I have taught courses like Calculus & Analytic Geometry, Discrete Structures, Linear Algebra, Probability & Statistics, Computational Algebra, and Differential Equations. During my teaching, I found that students of computer science are not well aware of how to use modern Mathematics in their field of study. Since then my interest in computer science sparked and I started taking a deeper interest in computer science field of study. Till Now, I learned the basic of programming and somehow build the foundation with Microsoft products. Now, I have a good understanding of. Net as a core programming language and other technologies too such as rest, webpage, MVC. I also keep eyes on the Microsoft cognitive services which help to transform today business with AI. I plan to achieve a Master's in Statistics & Machine Learning so that I can excel in my career plans.

My ultimate goal is to build useful theorems and software applied easily and widely. For me, theorems, especially mathematical models and proofs, are intrinsically fun and give us confidence to work successfully on applications; while software enables people to easily utilize the ideas without understanding the theories. I believe it to be one of the fastest ways to make the world advance. My career goal is to be a Data Scientist or computational Mathematician to bridge the gap between Mathematics & Statistics needed for Machine Learning.

I sincerely request you to consider my application. It would be a great opportunity for me if I am accorded the chance to pursue my higher studies at Linköping University.
Rakhshanda, this sounds more like a college statement of purpose than a masters degree sop presentation. There is very little evidence that you have the intellectual ability to undertake such a complicated masters course at this time. Yes, that is even with the complicated sounding masters thesis and name dropping of your professor. By the way, if the professor is not your referee, it's best not to mention his name since he cannot attest to the validity of your claims regarding your relationship with him as a professor to student.

You need to create a justification regarding the relationship of your undergraduate course with your interest in Machine Learning. While you have several computer related math subjects, you should highlight which classes resulted in your highest grades and how the course has helped lay out a foundation for your studies in ML. Prove that you have applicable Math training. Depict the connection between the two.

Next, how does your master thesis relate to ML? Where does graph labeling come into the picture? Why should the reviewer be impressed that you were able to create this thesis? Again, create the connection between ML and your master thesis.

How does being a teacher have a relevance to ML? Your paragraph separates itself from any connection to ML which is more data science / analytical / big data use centered? How will your teaching skills be improved by this program?

More importantly, how does your choice of university lend itself to your professional goals? It is not enough that you explained your future career plan. You must connect it with the university course program and training opportunities. How will the university help fulfill both your advanced academic and professional goals?

You will need to revise about 90% of the essay in order to make it more masters SOP responsive. Your current paper is informative but not in a manner that truly explains a graduate student's interest in MS studies.

Home / Graduate / SOP for admission in a course of statistics & machine learning