Home / Graduate   % width NEW!

SOP - MS in "Aeronautics and Astronautics"

thomasantony 1 / -  
Hello,
This is my SOP for applying to MS in Aeronautics and Astronautics / Aerospace Engg. Please review. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------
I am pursuing a Masters in Aeronautics and Astronautics so that I may become sufficiently equipped to conduct research that would someday, finally, get humanity "off this rock". I believe that space exploration is a challenge worth challenging, a goal worth achieving and best of all, a journey worth pursuing. It is my dream not only to live to see the day humanity takes its baby steps off this planet, but rather, to also have played a major role in helping us achieve this lofty goal.

I was born two decades after the end of Apollo Program, but even so, it was no less a source of inspiration for me. The HBO docudrama, From the Earth to the Moon and Ron Howard's Apollo 13 might as well have been the sparks, which ignited my dreams. And as for the "fuel" for the spark, my interest in spaceflight, and science in general, was something that grew right from my childhood. It began from the very colorful "Dorling Kindersley" encyclopedias I had as a kid. Later on, I became a big fan of science fiction, specifically, hard science fiction works such as Rendezvous with Rama (Clarke), and the works of Stephen Baxter and Kim Stanley Robinson. What attracted me was their penchant for a high degree of technical accuracy. Their grand and detailed depictions of a humanity traveling the solar system, played no less a role in inspiring me.

My interest in space led me to taking up amateur astronomy as a hobby and also eventually, to be the proud owner of a 150mm Newtonian reflector. It opened up to me a whole new range of experiences and widened the horizons of my knowledge. From the craters of the moon to the clouds of Jupiter to the rings of Saturn to the beautiful Orion Nebula, it ignited in me a passion for space exploration and a yearning to know more. Another hobby of mine, is to run simulations using "Orbiter", a space flight simulator software. It has helped me learn more about Orbital Mechanics and trajectory planning, and also deepened my confidence that this is the career I want to pursue.

Intellectual curiosity and a thirst for learning, are two things that I consider as very valuable assets. They led to me to developing scientific temper as well as a passion for technology. I came to have a strong affinity towards computers given the fact that it was the first "high-tech" equipment that I was exposed to. Soon I got interested in programming and automation and got into freelance programming. Later on, I came across an open-source robotics platform called "Arduino", which allowed me to apply my programming and automation skills to real world objects. It also led me down a path I never expected to tread on, entrepreneurship.

I, along with a team of like minded friends, conducted an Arduino-based robotics workshop at our college. We also manufactured and sold robotics kits. This experience, and the money we earned, later led to us founding a startup while still at college. That is how MindHelix Technologies was born, with me as the CTO. My responsibility as CTO was to learn and work with new technologies as and when the requirement came up and also to train and instruct our newer team members using my practical knowhow and experience as a freelancer. Our startup later gained a lot of media attention and won national and international level awards. It taught me many valuable lessons on teamwork and leadership. It was a great and unique experience in itself to found a startup and it helped me realize that I am a good teacher. Further down the road, it is my dream to build a startup in the aerospace industry following in the footsteps of SpaceX and Virgin Galactic. Once I am well-equipped to embark on this journey, I believe that my prior experience will give me a head start in this direction.

The Aeronautics and Astronautics graduate program at <university> presents me with a unique opportunity, to learn from and work with the best in the field. I am particularly interested in working in Space Systems Design and Astrodynamics. While I do lack research experience, I make up for it being a fast learner and a hard worker and I believe that I possess the curiosity, desire and determination required to pursue scientific research. I posses the intellectual ability and the motivation needed to do justice to a demanding graduate program. I feel that <university> has a lot to offer me, and at the same time, I am confident that, under the guidance of the distinguished researchers, I will be able to make a positive contribution to on-going research work.

I believe that a good graduate program is an essential step for realizing my professional ambition of becoming a competent researcher. It is my humble request to the graduate admission committee to give me an opportunity to pursue my graduate studies at <university> and provide me the vital exposure I need, equipping me with the skills and knowledge to design and build the space systems of tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------------

Home / Graduate / SOP - MS in "Aeronautics and Astronautics"