SOP CS (Interactive Entertainment Technology Master)

joshux 1 / -  
Hi all, this is my SOP for CS master. Hope you can give some advice. Thanks in advanced!
--
When entering college, somehow I didn't adapt to the social life. I started being nervous talking to people and became depressed because of lacking connection with people. At times I was devoid of motivation to do anything. But deep in my heart, I was sure I can recover. I am an optimistic person. I believe that with knowledge and our own strengths, we can conquer many things. In facing my problems, I started seeking professional help and read self-help books written by professional psychologists. After my junior year, I decided to take an year leave to serve the social service in advance as an assistant in the fire department. After learning life saving skills and getting some real world experience, I realized my self worth in helping others. I became more confident toward people. I went back to school refreshed with renewed energy toward my studies.

When I was first introduced to programming, I was curious of how computers can follow logical command to solve problems. This guides me to study computer science at college. After serving social service and returning to school, I took a course in digital visual effects taught by professor YXZ. I became interested in using computer vision and computer graphics techniques to create stunning effects in videos an photographs. This interest leads to my senior project: special relativity in augmented reality. The project extracts foreground object from live video and then apply Lorentz transformation on the object to simulate length contraction phenomenon in special relativity.

My interest in the technical field and the experience of overcoming my problems drives me to thinking of this problem: can technology assist human to motivate themselves? In my last semester, I did a course project designing a computer system training brain concentration. While it is not hard to teach the usage of the software, I realized the intricacies in motivating users to keep practicing. Interactive entertainment technology holds a good example of creating engagement in users. Millions of enthusiastic gamers in the world spend significant amount of time and energy playing games. If we can take the elements from games and apply it to the real world, we may motivate people toward what they want to achieve.

My goal of pursuing this degree is to try learn technical aspects of games as much as possible. Ultimately, to create a great game to shape the world, or to do research in this area. XYZ's group has abundant research results in computer graphics and visualization. In addition, the ABC physics engine demonstrates that XYZ has emphasis on practical applications. I believe XYZ is my school of choice.
I started beingbecame nervous when talking to people and became depressed because of lacking connection with people.

At times I was devoid of motivation to do anything, but deep in my heart, I was sure I could recover, as I am an optimistic person.

After my junior year, I decided to take an year leave to serve the social service in advance, as an assistant in the fire department.

The project extracts foreground objects from live video and then applies Lorentz transformation on the object to simulate length contraction phenomenon in special relativity.

My interest in the technical field and the experience of overcoming my problems drives me to thinking of this problem: can technology assist humans to motivate themselves?

My goal of pursuing this degree is to try to learn technical aspects of games as much as possible.

:)

Home / Graduate / SOP CS (Interactive Entertainment Technology Master)