Writing an essay for an Executive MPH Program!

pfishermsw 2 / 4  
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and I am currently writing an essay in order to apply to an Executive MPH program. I already have a graduate degree but I want to enhance my skills an training in public health. My essay is listed below with the essay question! I am not the best writer and I would welcome any advice you all may have! Thank you!

Essay Question/Instructions: Describe what you perceive to be pressing public health issues, why a career in the field is appealing, and how a public health career will utilize your strengths (1-2 pages)

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) (2006),

"Drug abuse impairs judgment and good decision making, leaving people more prone to engage in HIV risk behaviors, including risky sexual behavior and non-adherence to HIV treatment. In addition, drug abuse adversely affects health and may exacerbate disease progression. Moreover, and most important, because of these linkages, we must recognize that drug abuse treatment is HIV prevention".

The statement made by NIDA is a current public health issue for individuals who are engaged in substance use and risky sexual behavior(s) which may lead to HIV transmission or infectious diseases. I am interested in the field of public health because I want to continue to develop my skills and become more dynamic in my role as a leader in public health education, evaluation, and research to better serve "at-risk" populations. I want to develop stronger linkages to substance abuse and HIV clinics, eliminate barriers and stigmas relating to HIV/AIDs care, conduct research to better serve minority populations experiencing HIV epidemics, and provide effective health education initiatives to better serve communities. In addition, I want to develop policies that require community based organizations to use strength based and supportive counseling approaches that will "motivate" individuals to change their "risky" behaviors and remain committed to treatment.

Nevertheless, substance abuse continues to have an impact on individuals making efficient decisions in regards to his or her health and safety. Currently, individuals who abuse substances engage in risky sexual behaviors, which may lead him or her to contract HIV, Hepatitis B &C, STD's or additional infectious diseases. Importantly, these behaviors are more prevalent in one cultural group than another. Particularly, the rate of HIV transmission has been prevalent among the African American, Men who have sex with men (MSM), and youth groups. Even though there are preventive measures to reduce HIV transmission through awareness, testing, and health education; there are still some communities that engage in risky behaviors.

In order to address this public health concern, I am currently involved in a national research study funded through the National Institute of Health NIH titled Project H.O.P.E. (Hospital Visit as Opportunity for Prevention and Engagement). The primary outcome of the national study is achieving HIV viral load suppression among HIV+ individuals who are also engaged in substance abuse. In order to achieve this goal, I work as a "Patient Navigator" who assists participants by coordinating them to health care providers. In addition, my role is two-fold, I provide participants with health education on HIV treatment and I provide strength based support in order to motivate participants who are ambivalent about his or her current substance abuse and precarious sexual behavior(s). I believe that in my role as a Patient Navigator, I will be able to make positive contribution of reducing HIV transmission and substance abuse here in Philadelphia.

My role as a Patient Navigator is one of the reasons why I enjoy the field of public health. The field of public health is dynamic in its efforts of effecting change in all populations. Public health is appealing to me for its "preventive" nature such as its efforts on health education and awareness. Specifically, I like the field of public health because without the continuous efforts from epidemiological research, biostatistics, social policy, and health education and promotion the HIV/AID's epidemic would have taken many more lives from our communities. The field of public health encompasses many qualities that I have embraced and utilized in my professional career. I believe that the education and training I receive from public health would only strengthen my analytical and clinical skills in order to address and resolve issues surrounding HIV transmission though risky sexual behaviors and substance use.

In conclusion, I want to become a public health leader in policy, evaluation of programs, and research in order to better serve "at-risk" populations. I want to develop stronger linkages to care in order to better serve minority populations experiencing HIV epidemics and substance abuse. I believe that the field of public health and its education will provide me with the knowledge, leadership, and resources in addressing these issues and effect change to improve communities in Philadelphia and globally.
I think this first statement is unnecessary, following the NIDA statement. It appears redundant. I would advise a more original opening statement.
Good job. I think you ought to revise just a bit for clarity and make sure you are not over using the same words and phrases too often. However, your message is clear and inspiring :)
OP pfishermsw 2 / 4  
Thank you so much for your feedback Susan! I am in the process of revising now!
BachChaconne2 1 / 95 19  
How's your paper coming along?
OP pfishermsw 2 / 4  
Hi BachChaconne,

I have incorporated the changes into my essay from the feedback I received from others on this post! Thank you for asking! I have submitted my essay and waiting for a response! I will you know if I am accepted! Thank you again for your awesome feedback!

P
BachChaconne2 1 / 95 19  
Good to hear and best of luck! Please let us know the results once you've been notified!

Home / Graduate / Writing an essay for an Executive MPH Program!