Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 5

"the former" - Question about the usage of a sentence.

AncientSorrow 1 / 2  
Topic: Teachers' salaries should be based on their students' academic performance.

Educational institutions always face the contention---whether to pay teachers according to their students' academic performance or not. The statement only emphasizes the former is misleading.

I have a question here. If I mean simply emphasizes teacher's salaries should be based on the performance of students is wrong. Should I write like: The statement only emphasizes the former is misleading.

or, The statement only emphasizes one aspect is misleading.
or, The statement only emphasizes one side is misleading.
I feel confused about this, it seems to me neither of them is proper. Do any one know how to express this?
T9Fernando - / 4  
Yeah, I think none of the three is correct.
I believe it's better to say like this:
The statement that teachers should be paid according to their students' academic performance is misleading.
OP AncientSorrow 1 / 2  
Thanks for answering.
But doing so, I will repeat what I have write before. Do you have any good ideas to avoid keeping use this sentence.

such sentece: whether A or B. If I simply want to empasize A, how should I express. the former? one aspect? or only repeat A again?
The former statement is misleading. ---You could do this, but it is still not quite right.

You do not have a misleading statement here to talk about. I think this is what you are trying to say:

The argument in favor of the former statement is misleading, because _____________________ (Why do you think people are misled about it?)

:-)
OP AncientSorrow 1 / 2  

Thanks for answering. I really appreciate your help.

Home / Grammar, Usage / "the former" - Question about the usage of a sentence.