Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 10

Having problems with transition with paragraghs

janeypooh 4 / 15  
Hello,

Any ideas on transitions on paragraphs. Meaning skipping to the next paragraph?
Michael_Hager - / 3  
Using Addition or Time transitions could help. More importantly though...Secondly we will talk about...consequently of this, this is what we should do...at the same time we must consider this...In the meantime...Likewise this is related to...

hope you can use one of these. or make up your own or look some up!

writing2.richmond.edu/writing/wweb/trans1.html

Hope this one helps!
At the start of a paragraph, you might say the main idea. After that, you might give examples or explain it. At the end, you can REFLECT on the IMPLICATIONS, and if you are clever, you can come up with implications that apply to the next paragraph.
st21 3 / 10  
Transitioning paragraphs can be difficult to do, but it becomes REALLY easy when all you can connect the ideas of paragraphs together.

I used to use the traditional words for transitioning, ex. therfore, secondly, finally. But those seemed dull. That's why I tend to favor connecting ideas of the paragraphs.
Yes, connecting the ideas is key. And it is like a courtesy to the reader, who is trying to follow your logic.
Joeyson 7 / 15  
Use words relating to indicate more information like: Besides, Furthermore, or indeed. Or if you are summarizing it up use words like Briefly, To sum up, or overall. Remember a essay is like a busy intersection, cars have to pass freely without getting hit.
kandble 2 / 4  
I usually use this for my transitions: Now that i talked about ..., i will move onto ...
Joeyson 7 / 15  
We did a whole week on transition sentences in my college writing class. If you are trying to indicate more information, use words like, furthermore ore second-third-etc. To indicate a cause or reason use words like because, because of, For the reason that. There are so many other ones I can't think of right now, but I usually use something like these.
Keng 39 / 134  
To my view, try to use simple conjunctions like and but or so because, however, yet.

Reading English news everyday will help you to understand how to deal with the transition words.

First, second, third are easy words for new learners to use because i always write such words when i started writing an academic essay. My teacher said it was better to use easy and short words to make your writing comprehensive.
bluebonnet 1 / 1  
If your ideas are consecutive, transition words would come out naturelly.

Home / Grammar, Usage / Having problems with transition with paragraghs