Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 2

The usage of the word "unfair" in an academic essay

Iarding 1 / -  

"unfair" or a synonym?

Hello, is it allowed to use the word "unfair" in an academic essay? I know that subjective phrases are not permitted, but what if the word describes a thing that is commonly known as unfair (for example racism)?
The term "unfair" is used in everyday language, both spoken and written. However, in written form, this is used more often than not in casual writing (as in between friends, family members, etc.). It would be better for you to use alternative references for the word instead when writing an academic essay to keep a professional, serious, and less common tone of writing. You can use similar words such as arbitrary, biased, one-sided, partisan, among others. The similar word reference you will be using is really going to be based on the meaning you want to convey in the sentence. So you will have to decide which alternative word to use, based on the subject of the discussion. Academic writing is one of the most formal writing presentations that a student has to complete, so don't go for the frequently used word reference. You need to show a wider vocabulary, or develop a more complex vocabulary when writing these types of papers. There might even be times when you will need to use professional references as an alternative to "unfair", depending upon what topic you are writing about.

Home / Grammar, Usage / The usage of the word "unfair" in an academic essay