Home / Letters   % width NEW!

'background in infectious diseases animal model' - my cover letter

hlyang 1 / -  
To whom it may concern,

This is ** from Department of*, *University. I have been a postdoctoral fellow in Dr. * lab since November 2007. I am writing to you to apply for the Associate Research Scientist (Job #S10811) in your institute. I have to find a job for my career due to the funding crisis in the current lab although I was supposed to be updated to research scientist. The well known reputation in your institute gives me a strong impression and I would love to join it if I have the chance.

During the last 4 years, my research interests mainly focus on the mechanism of *. My research also involves in *.

I have strong background in infectious diseases animal model in BSL-2/3 environment. I also have strong technical skills in molecular microbiology, molecular and cellular immunology, as well as bacterial genomics and bioinformatics. I have generated publications in journals such as Infection and Immunity, PLOS One, BMC Genomics, BMC Infectious Diseases, and Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. I have experience with presenting at professional society meetings, and reviewing manuscripts. I have served as a peer reviewer for journals including PLoS ONE, FEMS Immunology & Medical Microbiology, Journal of Clinical Microbiology, as well as Clinical and Vaccine Immunology. My technological skills and experience include state-of-the-art molecular biology (PCR and RT-PCR, sub-cloning and sequencing, protein expression and purification, western blot, isolation and detection of DNA and RNA), immunology experiments (ELISA, ELISpot, tissue culture, Flow cytometry and other immuno-detection methods) and Pathology technologies (cell culture, animal model establishment, immunohistochemistry staining, fluorescent microscopy). I also have advanced experience in MS Office software, scientific data/graphics programs, and biostatistics theory and software such as SAS and GraphPad Prism.

I am a person with high sense of responsibility and strong career ambition. During the time in CSU as a postdoc, I took courses such as scientific writing, grant writing and reviewing, functional genomics, mechanisms of bacterial pathogenesis, immunity in infectious diseases et al. I am a highly-motivated as well as a reliable person with strong teamwork spirit. I also have strong written and verbal communication skills in English.

So my background and skills meet all the requirements of the associate research scientist position although, to be honest, I do not have direct experience in Virology. However, as you know, many basic technologies can be used in various research areas, and many skills and technologies in Tb research could be used in virus research. The strong background in infectious diseases, immunology, and 4 years experience in BSL-3 lab demonstrate that I can contribute prominently to your institute as a research scientist. I am confident that I can do all the works required by the position.

In this application package, I also fax my Curriculum Vitae for your review and consideration. I would like to offer other materials if your need.

The opportunity of the following interview is highly appreciated.

Home / Letters / 'background in infectious diseases animal model' - my cover letter