Home / Letters   % width Posts: 4

Why you are interested in Law & Economics in general and in the EMLE Programme in particular

TSNBL 1 / 1  
Hello, it's my first attempt of motivation letter, I am still not happy with it and I think it needs a lot of improvement. Would be glad to hear your opinion about it.

Motivation letter Erasmus mundus

As described on their website :
" In this letter, addressed to the review committee, please explain why you are interested in Law & Economics in general and in the EMLE Programme in particular (one page). "

My name is XXX and I would like to express my interest in applying for the European Master of Law & Economics programme.
I've always dreamed of becoming a lawyer with high expertise and ability to use my skills and knowledge in the help of society and I am sure EMLE would set me steps ahead to reach my goal.

Growing up in a family of lawyers, my passion for law started at an early age. After graduating high school with top grades, I successfully passed state exams and got admitted at the Faculty of Law at X University with a full scholarship. I wanted my activities to have an international character, so as a student, I joined one of the biggest law students' organisation, "YYYY". I saw it as an opportunity to enhance my knowledge, practical skills and get into the international network while volunteering. At the second year of my studies, I discovered the world of Intellectual Property and started to gain interest in it. As Intellectual Property law is not popular and developed in Georgia, I had to search for the additional sources out of university to fill in the gap. Due to lack of opportunities, I decided to combine my interest and my possibility to contribute to the legal education through YYYY. I started to create learning opportunities for students like me, who were interested in the specific fields of law by organising various events and traineeship possibilities for them.|

After getting a Bachelor degree, I wanted to plan my future education wisely. I realised that except being an expert practising lawyer, it was my greatest wish to contribute to the development of this field in my country. I want to pursue my academic studies and pass my knowledge and experience to the next generation of law students. Having that on my mind, I started to research for the innovative, complex programmes with academic excellence and international environment. That is when I came across the EMLE, a great combination of internationality, rich academic interdisciplinary programme, with professors and students from different backgrounds. From the moment I went through the website and all the details of the programme, I knew it was a place for me, where I belong and where all my ambitions, goals and dreams can come true. I got fascinated by the Innovations & Intellectual Property track of the programme, not to mention the possibility of further learning. My work and internship experiences prepared me for advance studies in Intellectual Property law. During my daily work, I saw how complex this field could be, and it motivated me to deepen my knowledge and grow my expertise in various aspects of it.

Intellectual Property itself is a great tool for encouraging innovation and international trade, strongly connected to foreign direct investments and technology transfer. What I find the most appealing in the programme is that it begins with introductory courses and provides a possibility for any educational background student to include themselves fully into the programme. It had a big role in my decision to apply, as it is a guarantee of deep insight and knowledge of how these fields work together and affect the lives of society.

I would be happy to dedicate myself to being a part of EMLE programme. Considering my desire and motivation to enrich mine and other's knowledge in Intellectual property law, I am sure that I will be a valuable addition to the programme and I am confident in my abilities to meet and even exceed your expectations.

Thank you for considering my application!
teddyz 3 / 6 1  
I feel like it is pretty good so far you state out all the achievement you have had clearly and also in a formal manner too which is good. I feel like there is not much you can change since it is pretty good as it is at the moment, but I guess some people might say otherwise.
OP TSNBL 1 / 1  
Maybe it needs restructuring or more information why I am interested in L&E?
The motivational letter needs to focus on what has motivated you to focus your masters course on Law and Economics. How does this relate to your current career? You seem to be changing law focus from IP to L&E. Why is that? What motivated the change in career path? Explain how this developed and why it is important to you to switch focus. What you have here is a personal statement that does not deliver the required elements of an EM motivation letter. You are lacking a focus on the EMLE program as it relates to your motivation. Try to connect your interest in law, IP, then L&E in a manner that will allow you to clearly explain the relevance of the EMLE program to your career growth and future career path.

Home / Letters / Why you are interested in Law & Economics in general and in the EMLE Programme in particular