Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Anabolic Steroids research - am I on the right path?

hkaye2011 1 / -  
Im writing a senior research paper and im stuck i dont know if im even on the right path, just need some advice like if its good and what to do when stuck thank you

Anabolic Steroids

Since the 1950s steroid use was seen in athletes in the Olympics. Although steroids have been around much longer than that, just recently in the past ten to twenty years steroids have been used by many people and not just major league athletes. There are high school students, college students, body builders, regular people that just want to look good, even sixth graders are seen using steroids. Nobody has liked the thought of losing whether it was because they were not big, strong or fast enough to win that medal in the end. That's where the use of steroids has come in, making that person bigger, stronger and faster.

Although some steroids are given to people by doctors for medical reasons the use of anabolic steroids has increased dramatically in the past years, do people want to risk their health to become better looking or run faster "I worked very hard for my gains both on and off [steroids] but the results were not real or lasting, [just addicting] and can ultimately ruin your life. If you're on [steroids] GET OFF! If your thinking of trying DON'T! Look in the mirror; for better or worse, that is who you are."1 In order to understand anabolic steroids it is necessary to understand why people take them and how they affect the body.

Steroids are natural chemicals called hormones that produce male-like effects in both the males and females. Your body on the other hand produces steroid hormones like testosterone for the male and estrogen for the female and the body never produces more than you need. For the men the testosterone effects their growth, helps fight off stress and mature during puberty. For the woman estrogen produces the typical female characteristics like high voice and smooth skin and it also helps fight off stress and help the body mature during puberty. When people start adding more steroid hormones to their body that is when it becomes a problem, because their adding a lot more testosterone, even the woman get the testosterone like effect if they are taking steroids.

By people taking steroids, they are increasing the testosterone level a hundred times more than 2.5mg already produced in your body for that day. By increasing the level of testosterone people become bigger and recover faster to keep building their strength and/or endurance. But there is not a steroid out there that is not going to have a bad side effect or cause major health problems for the person who is taking them.

Anabolic steroids can only be taken two different ways orally or injection and both have different effects on the body, but there is a benefit that for some reason people tend to look at for both. Taking anabolic steroids orally absorb into the stomach and work faster but the risk of taking them orally is the possibility of overdosing and it is also way more toxic to you liver and kidney than injecting steroids. Even though taking steroids orally is more toxic, injecting steroids is still not better for your body. The chances of someone receiving HIV/AIDs increases dramatically because of the sharing of needles or the person not being sanitary. And injecting steroids will not take as long for them to work but they will be in your system longer causing more problems and can also cause problems when drug testing occurs. Either way people take the steroids, they can cause many physical and psychological effects to the body.

It was not until the 1930s, when researchers discovered the side effects that anabolic steroids cause. While mostly everyone using steroids are aware of even the dangerous effects, the outcome they receive from using them prove more than they can refuse. The long term effects that everyone can suffer from include dizziness, mood swings, hallucinations, nausea, depression and high blood pressure. All of these can become very serious issues down the road. In the book Gym Candy, Mick Johnson experiences most of these effects from the use of Dianabol. From lashing out at a kid for accidently running into him to becoming very depressed and not wanting to do anything with his life. These side effects can affect everyone but there are also side effects that just affect the females and side effects that only affect the males.

For the females it is like they are turning their body into a male. The steroids will increase the facial hair growth and give them a deeper voice. Also the females loose their breast and start losing the hair from their heads. But unlike the males what the females endure through using steroids will become permanent and it also depends on how much of the steroid is taken.

Males on the other hand will not have a permanent outcome from the steroids if and only if they have not taken them over a period of time, the consequences for that become much more serious, even death. The males suffer from severe acne and develop early balding. Other side effects include enlargement of the breast, pain when going to the bathroom, also shrinkage of the testicles. "The zits, the puffy nipples-they were betraying me. I hated my body, hated what it was doing but the feeling of being weak and being looked at as weak was enough to keep me going"2 Mick Johnson discovered firsthand what steroids could do to you and how he felt was a whole different story, not much would change unless he chose to stop taking the steroids.

Even though people like Mick chose to take the risk of having a few zits or increased facial hair growth, they do not look into how steroids can affect them in the long run if taken for a long period of time. Lyle Alzado was just one person who suffered a painful death of brain cancer, just from using anabolic steroids for most of his life. "I'm sick, and I'm scared. Ninety percent of the athletes and people I know are on the stuff. We're not borth to be 300 pounds or jump 30 feet. But all the time I was taking steroids, I knew they were making me play better. I became very violent on the field and off. I did things only crazy people would do. Now look at me. My hair's gone, I wobble when I walk...I [even] have trouble remembering things. My last wish? That no one else ever dies this way"3 These anabolic steroids can and will kill anyone taking them and brain cancer was a major affect that Alzado suffered through but there are many more different health risks. People can receive HIV/AIDS, kidney and liver disease, or even some form of cancer because the steroids are reducing immune system function.
changeurfeet 2 / 8  
Hi hkaye,
My biggest advice for you going forward is to have a clear goal in mind of what you want to argue. You need to develop a strong thesis statement. After reading through your paper you have good points here and I understand that you are arguing against steroids. At the end of your first paragraph you need to make a statement like "people should not use anabolic steroids becuase it harms their, X and Y." You might want to look into the legality of steroids and how that affects usage. Another area you could look into is the demographics of steroid users. I hope this helped.
When you add an "extra" phrase to a sentence like this, you should use commas:
Anabolic steroids can only be taken two different ways, orally or intravenously, and both...

not borth (??) to be 300 pounds or jump 30 feet.

At the end of the essay, it ends a bit abruptly. Maybe you should add one more paragraph to succinctly repeat the main message of the essay.

This is very good! Hey, what is going on with the MA here... are you missing a set of parentheses? ---> ver dies this way"3 These

:-)

Home / Research Papers / Anabolic Steroids research - am I on the right path?