Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

Bipolar disorder assistance. Research Paper for Rio Salado ENG102

Tommydeck1988 1 / -  
Lesson 11, Rough Draft, Research Paper

Thomas Decker
Rossana Orta
English 102
July 16, 2018 
Thomas Decker
Rossana Orta
ENG102
7/16/2018

Lesson 11 Rough Draft, Research Paper

Program for people with the bipolar disorder

The topic of our society choosing to implement a program to assist individuals with bipolar disorder in procuring sterilization procedures is a controversial issue. There are many reasons why the sterilization of people with bipolar disorder would help not only that sub-culture but also help all cultures. People with bipolar disorder live dysfunctional lives, and when people with bipolar disorder choose to have children, they are passing on their genes and dysfunctionality to a new generation. Not only are people with bipolar disorder passing on their genes and dysfunctionality, but they are also increasing their dysfunctionality by becoming parents.

It is well studied that people with bipolar disorder lead lives in which they continuously struggle to maintain jobs, relationships, and housing. Which begs the question, if people with bipolar disorder choose to have children, how will they support their offspring? And once children parented to people with bipolar disorder grow old enough to join the workforce and realize too that they cannot function, they continue the cycle of dysfunctionality that their parents began for them, and their parents, and so forth, for countless generations. 24.9% of children parented by people with bipolar disorder will grow up to have bipolar disorder.

Generations of people with bipolar disorder will continue to be born every decade and continue the cycle of dysfunctionality and set the groundwork for the continuation for another decade of generations. However, I believe that people with bipolar disorder don't understand, and many people in our society, is how easy a sterilization procedure is compared to the devastating lifelong effects people with bipolar parenting will have on children, not just the parents with bipolar disorder. Choosing to have a vasectomy was an easy decision for me; I did not want to care for a child when I had a hard enough time caring for myself. But as bipolar disorder is an emotional, mood disorder, I believe people with bipolar disorder let their emotions cloud their judgment when it comes to a decision like this that was all too easy for me.

I believe it could be easy for the vast majority of people with bipolar disorder if we educated our society on the studies that have been conducted regarding children parented to people with bipolar disorder, and the lifelong effects of such a decision, among the other afflictions and struggles of bipolar disorder. Around the globe, studies have concluded what positive effect sterilization of people with bipolar disorder would have on society. They show the statistics of the countless children that would be spared from growing up with bipolar disorder, and the positive impact it would have on our society's medical, economic, and socialistic wellbeing.

These studies should be common knowledge for people with bipolar disorder; they should be taught in schools around the country, and around the globe; society should be educating the public on these studies. Not only should these studies be shared with the public as an ordinary forum in education, but there must also be a forum of ethical debate. There are many successful artists, movie stars, and many other artistic professionals that owe their creativity and success to bipolar disorder. Many people have great careers because of bipolar disorder; however, the far number of people living dysfunctional lives far outweigh the people livings prosperous lives.

Thus, this must also be educated to our public; yes, certain people with bipolar disorder can lead great lives, but the odds contrary to that are substantial to say the lease. Fewer people realize the limitations bipolar disorder inflicts upon them. People with bipolar disorder can be categorized into a subculture. I believe many people are naive to what people with bipolar disorder struggle with daily. I believe many more people are oblivious as to the fact that bipolar disorder is an invisible disorder, and that the subculture of people with bipolar disorder are too unaware that bipolar disorder can be categorized as an invisible disorder. This is probably one of the main contributing factors to the rift between people with bipolar disorder and people without bipolar disorder

As stated previously, 24.9% of children parented to people with bipolar disorder will inherit their bipolar genes, because of this, the subculture will continue to grow to the point where people with bipolar disorder may eventually become a majority in our society. This equates to people without bipolar disorder, and people with bipolar disorder, converging into one culture; a culture that would become so dysfunctional that could threaten society's very survival. Perhaps a logical alternative to this probable future would indeed be to start a program of sterilization of people with bipolar disorder. Part of the program would be counseling on the matter, the issues associated with parenting, the struggles of maintaining a functioning life without children and the effects after having children, and the alternate scenarios if people with bipolar disorder did choose to parent.

But society must ensure we leave the decision to sterilize up to the individual; we must not repeat the eugenics mistakes of past generations like in WW2. And if people with bipolar disorder choose to have children, we must put in place and implement programs to assist with the adverse effects of these individuals parenting. If the United States did implement a program to help the affliction of people with bipolar disorder having children, and offered education on the matter, counseling on the procedures, and post-operative counseling and assistance to people with bipolar disorder that chose to undergo sterilization, would the cost of offering these services help society overall. I believe it would. The biggest hurdle in developing a program like this would be ensuring it was a program fair for all.

The easiest way to ensure people with bipolar disorder would not shy away from the program would to offer the services, and procedures, free of charge. If they still chose not to undergo a sterilization procedure, society should still educate, counsel, and offer services to them free of charge. If we could remove the 24.9% equation of the continuation of the cycle of bipolar disorder dysfunctionality, think of the positive effects that would come to our future generations. Invisible disabilities are challenging to live with and difficult to deal with daily. However, a person who is uneducated about their invisible disability is a person who cannot implement tools in their daily schedule to overcome those challenges.

A program like I described above is nothing but a set of tools for people with bipolar disorder to utilize to overcome the challenges in their lives and live more functional lives. I believe not enough people understand the negative effects that come with bipolar disorder; I also believe that some people think that people with bipolar disorder use bipolar as an excuse to act badly, this is not the case. Bipolar disorder plagues not only the people with the disorder but also our society. Perhaps by people without bipolar disorder saying that it's just an excuse, they say this because they use this accusation to excuse society failing to implement programs to help the affliction of bipolar disorder like the one I have laid out in this paper. Thus, this could be so that they do not have to feel guilty about not doing enough to help.

Which brings me to the final topic of my paper that religion plays a huge role in countless peoples lives around the globe. For me, religion is not as important to me as living a life treating others how I would like to be treated and trying to be a good person because it is good to be good. I believe a large majority of people say that they are people of faith, but actually they are bad people that hide behind religion so that they don't succumb to the realization that how they live their lives is in contradiction to what the Bible teaches. I believe this transcends to the mental health treatment of people with bipolar disorder.

I have witnessed countless times employees of mental health treatment facilities, and patients, make statements like "Its God's will," and "I'll just leave it up to God." I believe with education on bipolar disorder, and on the options, people with bipolar disorder have as far as parenting, and with a program like the one I have laid out, people would make better decisions during their treatment of bipolar disorder. Instead, we have people aiding the dilemma instead of coming up with a solution. People with bipolar disorder cannot leave it up to God. Our society has at our disposal knowledge, facts, and statistics. Let us implement a sterilization program for people with bipolar disorder so that we can reduce, if not eliminate, the affliction of bipolar disorder on people, on society, and save countless innocent children from a life no one should have to live.

Works Cited

Cambridge University Press

"Does the Course of Manic Symptoms in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder Impact the Course of Conduct Disorder? Findings from Four Prospective Datasets." Egyptian Journal of Medical Human Genetics, Elsevier

"Early Intervention in Bipolar Disorder." American Journal of Psychiatry

Goldstein, Tina R, et al. "History of Suicide Attempts in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder: Factors Associated with Increased Risk." Freshwater Biology

Gottesman, Irving I. "Severe Mental Disorders in Offspring With 2 Psychiatrically Ill Parents." JAMA Internal Medicine, American Medical Association

KE, Laxman, and Hassan MK. "Medaxial Limited, London, England." Health Communication, Oxford PharmaGenesis, Oxford
Thomas, excellent presentation. I was enlightened and truly informed about how bipolar men should take responsibility not only for themselves, but also for the future generations that they may produce that could exacerbate the bipolar problem in society. I have a problem with certain aspects of the report that use first person references though. The names on the paper indicate a two person research paper. So when the essay suddenly refers to the "I" section, as a reader, I had a tendency to get lost and wonder what the role of the other person was in the research and how it applied to her.

In a research intensive paper, it is always best to remain in neutral territory by not taking a first person point of view in the presentation. That way the paper can remain unbias and offer the reader a far more convincing persuasive discussion of the issue. Please reconsider the reference point for the anecdote in this instance. Had the paper been a solo research paper, I would not have had a problem with your referencing your personal experience. Since this is a two person research task though, I believe it would be better to use a disinterested party as the reference point for the anecdote instead. Of course, that is just my opinion so you don't have to change it if you feel that you have reasons why you want to keep it in the current form.

I also read several references to data in this research paper that was not properly cited in-text even though you have a complete bibliography listing. Make sure to do that before you submit your research paper in order to avoid any plagiarism issues when the professor double checks the integrity of your research.

Home / Research Papers / Bipolar disorder assistance. Research Paper for Rio Salado ENG102