My CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP LEADERSHIP ESSAY - Lagos boy

edonoh 1 / - 1  
Kindly review my essays for the chevening application

Chevening is looking for individuals that will be future leaders or influencers in their home countries. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your own leadership and influencing skills to support your answer.

(minimum word count: 50 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

As a young boy growing up in Lagos, I wanted to be successful. I remember having a list of things i would like to achieve when i grow up, one of which was to be an engineer. The hunger for greatness coupled with my dedication to create a lasting impact drove me to take up leadership roles at various school activities and i believe this has helped to shape not just me as a leader but as a person in general.

The year 2014 was the beginning of the most exciting and challenging period of my life as a Leader but as they say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I was appointed to lead various groups in the university, which was scary as it was my first time leading a large group of people. The most exciting and challenging of them all was the Google student ambassador program and one of my duties asides acting as a liaison between my university and Google was hosting fun events, trainings and workshops introducing students to Google's technology and services.

I was excited to host my first workshop which was successful but i realised if i had built a team then the workshop would have been awesome. So i created a team with students who were passionate about technology called it Google Student Club, i also designed a structure with the club broken down into three sections Google Business Group, Google Developer Group and the Android Study Group. Each section had its section leaders and they were trained to support and also host events also. Subsequent trainings and workshops were organized with little no stress and were awesome as i imagined.

One sunday afternoon, I got an email asking me if i could host a UX design workshop the next day for about twenty students. Apparently, a Google UX researcher was in Nigeria and was interested in teaching UX to African Students. This was very challenging because it usually takes about 3-4 weeks to plan and host a successful event but I had less than 24 hours to put together an amazing experience for everyone. The developer group needed the training so i said yes. I sent a mail out to Google developer group and in 30 min they secured a location and logistics for the event were settled. The event was successful, there was a massive turn out for an event initially design for 20 people, 192 people attended the UX design workshop, the Google team was impressed with the developer group and the feedback form from attendees was amazing.

It was then i realised how i have developed into a leader who believes in the people he serves and creating a platform for others to discover their potentials and shine. Today each section has grown, runs independently and receives its mandate directly from Google. The same hunger for greatness that drove me into becoming an ambassador as also driven me to my choice of course for chevening scholarship.
mohito1999 2 / 3  
First of all, remember to capitalize the "i" in the cases you have not. Other than that, I like your story and it is certainly a unique one. However, I do believe that you should further address your ambition for the future and how you aim to build on your current accomplishments. You have touched on it, but you can develop it further. I need you to dream big and state outright what change you will bring to your country, and the world.

Hopefully this helps.
flexity 1 / 2 1  
I think trying to convince the board about your current leadership skills will do in this essay

Home / Scholarship / My CHEVENING SCHOLARSHIP LEADERSHIP ESSAY - Lagos boy