Strong Networking Skills: What does it really mean?

njal90s 2 / 1  
Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your networking skills, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future.

(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words) Word Count:

Your opinions, suggestions, and corrections will be greatly appreciated. Gracias!

independence in networking

One must be independent to be able to build interdependence. That is the essence of networking. When I volunteered in OYB, a majority of the volunteers cannot afford college which will deem them to stop their studies. The moment I heard about a scholarship in Holy Child Colleges of Butuan, my initiative is to meet with the focal person. After I and the Guidance Counselor shared the purposes of the institution we represent, we agreed that I will give a list of volunteers who can be recommended as scholars. These volunteers are now young professionals. When my teaching contract ended in BFCS, a parent who co-owned Mom's Finest Buffet Palace offered me a managerial job. That was the time that I waited for the result of my application in the government sector. Nevertheless, I was surprised for the offer but I accepted it. Working outside my comfort zone is a challenge. There are staffs who questioned my abilities. In order to bridge the gap, I asked a friend from the government sector to partner with me and initiate training in Quarter Master's Course. Through the training, I and my staffs became more connected in sustaining the quality of service the restaurant offers. Presently, I have a good communication with people from my previous work. We give updates about each other through emails, Facebook, Instagram and sometimes meet in person. We also call each other whenever we need each other's help. It is great to have good networks of friends and I am still building more.

Recently a 10 feet high flood hit our community which affected the houses and livelihood of the community. Food supplies ran out and no money to sustain themselves. Therefore I spoke with our church leaders and fellow young professionals to raise funds in order to help the affected community. In the end, we transported relief goods to at least 30 families in Barangay Buhangin. Moreover, the lack of school supplies affects the academic performance of pupils. It is sad to note that this is a common scenario in the Philippine public schools. In order to help, I reached out to my fellow alumni to donate school supplies for the school. Presently the pupils of Buhangin Elementary School are using the donated school supplies.

Education is the key to liberate ourselves from ignorance and to ensure the future of our country. To see the youth benefit from good educational system especially the deprived and the poor. There will be a great chance for a developed Philippines. With my networking skills, I will reach out to other NGO's, Government Offices, and private individuals who share the vision of building positive change and development in the Philippines. I will integrate Chevening's vision to every conference, seminars and other events that I will conduct. I will invite fellow Chevening alumni to partner with me to speak and facilitate in such events and altogether we will serve as benefactors for the sustainable development of the Philippines.
Noeme, always focus on your current profession in all your Chevening essays. Do not include information about your work at the restaurant because that is not related to your true profession and as such, becomes a sore thumb in the presentation. What I mean by sore thumb is that it is not truly related to the profession you have chosen and as such, divides the attention of the reviewer between the relevant and irrelevant information. Anything not related to your teaching profession is irrelevant information.

The networking information that you present is simple enough to impress the reviewer. I will not stay that it is strong and impressive because there are no clear presentations of professional networks that can help you increase your chances at career development. Then again, as a teacher, your options in networking for career advancement is limited to a certain extent. So the networking skills that you present here may just be deemed acceptable enough by the reviewer based upon the socioeconomic situation of your country.

In the concluding part of your essay, you need to add a line or two that will explain how Chevening and its past and future scholars can benefit from this simple network of contacts that you have created in the education sector. What benefit will this network offer them? It isn't enough that you are willing to promote Chevening and include them in your country based projects. The scholarship foundation , its alumni, and its future scholars are expected to gain some benefit out of this network as well. Review the other networking essays in this forum in order to get a better idea as to how the network is expected to work so that you can properly revise your essay in that regard.
Excel2017 - / 9 6  
@njal90s
Dear,

This is more of a Leadership essay than a Networking essay. The networking essay prompt requires you to relate your professional or academic network to goal achievement. The illustrations did not answer the question. The last paragraph on education seems completely off from the rest of the essay. Networking does not mean facebook, twitter etc, in as much as they are networks on their own, this prompt does not refer to them. Your service in OYB and the people you connected with there, how has it helped you achieve a goal and how did you sustain such networks.

Home / Scholarship / Strong Networking Skills: What does it really mean?