Home / Scholarship % width Posts: 3

A traditional South-Asian household - Application for Waterloo Fermat Workshop

mal27 1 / 2 1  
1. Tell us about your passion for mathematical problem-solving and why you would be a good candidate for this workshop. (It's OK to brag a bit.)

Growing up in a traditional South-Asian household, my introduction to mathematics was typical, at the dining table, with long multiplication sheets as my initial adversaries. But my passion for mathematical problem-solving ignited not in the conventional classroom setting, but across the chessboard. My father introduced me to the game when I was a child, and although the sessions were initially playful, as a competitive individual, losing wasn't an option. I devoted my time to looking up chess strategies and theories. I borrowed chess books from the library, studied famous chess endings, different openings, and even the Shannon number, diving deep into the realm of combinatorial game theory without even realizing it. Chess started to become less of a luck based guessing game, and more as a math based problem solving game. I didn't know it yet, but I had unknowingly just opened the door to a whole realm of problem solving. I did so much math, so many long division sheets, so many time tables memorized, but I didn't even realize that math was what I needed in my pursuit of becoming a chess master. Chess, with its intricate strategies and endless possibilities, was my gateway into understanding the beauty of mathematical problem-solving. My journey has equipped me with a unique problem-solving skill set. I've learned to anticipate outcomes, analyze patterns, and navigate through puzzles with precision and creativity, much like navigating through complex mathematical problems.

My achievements in the classroom and in mathematics competitions are a direct testament to these skills. Achieving honor roll status, receiving the Math Award, and securing honors and distinctions in math contests were not just accolades but affirmations of my ability to apply abstract reasoning and strategic thinking to complex problems. I came to be passionate about the tons of possibilities mathematics can be applied to, and firmly believe that all the mysteries and problems can be solved by it. My passion for combinatorics grew, which led to a fascination with the possibilities that lie within structured problem-solving. It expanded my understanding of how mathematical principles can be applied to dissect and solve complex problems, further fueling my passion for mathematics, and creating a passion for engineering. These skills have propelled my passion for engineering, where I apply mathematical methods to innovate, design, and solve real-world problems. Chess taught me that behind every problem lies a solution waiting to be uncovered, a belief that has carried me through my passion for math problem solving. I believe my unique learning pathway in unlocking a deep-seated passion for mathematics and its applications, positions me as an ideal candidate for this workshop. I bring not only a solid foundation in mathematical principles but also a creative approach to problem-solving, a relentless pursuit of knowledge, and a proven track record of applying mathematical concepts to achieve solutions. In essence, my passion for mathematical problem-solving and my achievements are deeply intertwined with my love for chess. This workshop represents an opportunity to further refine my skills, contribute to the mathematical community, and continue exploring the endless possibilities that mathematics offers to the world.

One at a time.
When they asked you to brag a bit, you should actually bragged a lot. You should mention specific achievements, instead of giving blanket mentions. Name the awards and competitions you won. It does not matter if you won it for Math or Chess, the two are related in this case. So, go ahead, show off, talk about the competitions and the difficulties, how you finally won the competitions or won the awards. Now is not the time to be simple or down to earth. Everyone else will be bragging away and here to you come, with such a simple and almost embarrassed presentation of your accomplishments. Go ahead and be more specific, the committee members will appreciate it.
OP mal27 1 / 2 1  
won

Hi, thank you for your help, but I actually got accepted last week :) I appreciate the help though, will for sure keep this in mind in future applications.

Home / Scholarship / A traditional South-Asian household - Application for Waterloo Fermat Workshop