Home / Speeches   % width Posts: 6

a lost word speech

lovedaylight 1 / 2  
I have an assignment to write a speech about a lost word

Lost word defines as a word that was popular in the past, but has either been drop out of normal modern English conversation or one that lost it original meaning.

The assignment asks for the definition, origin of the word, how it was used in conversation, and the reason that it was drop out of modern English.

Now, I think finding a lost word should be easy enough, as I have a few word in mind already, but if anyone have a suggestion, please tell me.

The hard part is where can I to further information on a lost word. I've been trying to research the few word I have in mind, but haven't gotten anything I can use in a speech. For example the word "autexousious" meaning possessing or exercising free will, I couldn't find any information other than its definition on google.

I'm looking for a way to do research on lost word, and also I've been wondering about how to start a lost word eassy.
Go to a library. Find a full copy of the OED. Therein you shall find much to help you. Once you have the information you need, you might find it easier to come up with an essay outline, too.
OP lovedaylight 1 / 2  
Sean
Many thanks for the OED suggestion, I never heard of it until today, will check it out tomorrow. And about the introduction, my instructor is very big on the hook, attention grabbing sentence, perhaps I can create a story that make use of the word in its plot.

and thank for relying so quickly, I'm in the process to training myself to be a better writer, and I think this site will be a great tool for that.
faithanatomy 2 / 3  
HotForWords (her channel) on youtube. She's good.
The full OED is the place to go to learn the history of English words, as I learned when I took a linguistics class in my Masters. You already seem to have a pretty good idea of what you need to do for your intro, so I look forward to reading your first draft.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I'm looking forward to this essay too. You definitely want to check out the OED in general, not just for this assignment. For this assignment, you might also want to ask older people in your life if they can think of any word that has fallen out of use that they miss.

Home / Speeches / a lost word speech