Album Review- There's no formula;NYUTransfer- Tisch Clive Davis Ins of Recorded Music

CherryPac18 10 / 29 1  
This is just the beginning, I just want to know how it is so far.

I remember watching an interview not too long ago and when asked if he thought his album was a classic, Kendrick Lamar answered, "When creating this album, I had intentions of making it a classic but right now it is too early to tell". What Kendrick Lamar failed to realize is that, you cannot intentionally make a classic album. If someone told me that Nas's "Illmatic" and Biggie's "Ready to Die" were successful attempts at intentionally trying to make a classic, my answer to that would be: I beg to differ. There is no formula to creating a classic album, that sort of thing just happens. Those albums were classic because they represented the era and struggle while coming from the heart. While I enjoyed Kendrick Lamar's debut album "Good Kid M.A.A.D City", at times, I felt Lamar was too focused on trying to recreate the 'magic' from the golden age of hip hop that his music did not sound authentic but rather tailored and manufactured. The skits that would play in between tracks were nice at times but sometimes felt forced. It seemed as if Kendrick recorded those messages just to put them in the album like he had contemplated creating the album for years. Though some may think that the skits play like an introduction and allow the album to flow as it is conceptual, I feel like he abused his creativity to the point where it seemed ridiculous. Honestly it makes it hard for me to really rank this album with the likes of Nas, Biggie, Jay-z, or Eminem. I just don't think Kendrick has reached that level yet. But for his capabilities, Lamar has created a lyrical masterpiece that formulates fictional tales of love and violence influenced by his own upbringing in Compton, California.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

So I took a look at the requirements for this program which can be found here: clivedavisdept.tisch.nyu.edu/object/ugrmusicportfolio.html . I did not see any requirement that instructs the applicant to write anything close to what you have done here. However, I may be wrong. Just in case I am not, please point me to where an "Album Review" is required for this program so I can help you better/. -AAO
OP CherryPac18 10 / 29 1  
WHAT IF I HAVE LIMITED EXPERIENCE IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY AND DO NOT HAVE THE RESOURCES TO SING A SONG OR TO MANAGE A BAND? HOW WILL I BE ABLE TO SUBMIT A CREATIVE SAMPLE FOR THE PORTFOLIO?

You do not need to have experience in the music industry nor do you need to have access to resources to demonstrate your vision, creativity and passion and your potential for success in the music industry. For instance, you might take a popular recording artist and write us a letter detailing how you would have used your creativity and vision to differently market or promote that artist or write us a letter about how you would have recorded that artist differently in the recording studio. You could also discuss what types of programs or events you would create in your hometown or high school to provide greater opportunity for engagement in the music industry, or submit a collection of writings showcasing your music analysis or criticism. Be creative!

I don't really have much experience so I was doing a criticism for a portion of my creative sample.
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

So that is good. Now I know that your writing/analysis is on topic. Your writing style is good except it is missing one very important element. When you negatively critique something, especially a creative piece, you have to give examples/quotes/references and then talk about what went wrong/right. So something like this..."His childish lyrics like "I'll run and go get an ice cream cone" make his music his music unbearable to anyone over the age of 12." So you always want to give the reader a sense of how/why you formulated your opinion. To best do this, you always need to provide a "sample" so that individuals who are not familiar with the artist can better understand your critiques and analysis. -AAO

Hope this helps.
OP CherryPac18 10 / 29 1  
Thanks for the feedback!! I wasn't done though this is just what I have so far I just wanted to know if I was on a good track.

Home / Undergraduate / Album Review- There's no formula;NYUTransfer- Tisch Clive Davis Ins of Recorded Music