Home / Undergraduate   % width   Posts: 3

Applying to Columbia University Undergrad Fly-In Program for the school of Engineering,

Bandup123 1 / 1  
What drives you to study engineering in college? For instance, you can describe activities you have participated in that sparked your interest in engineering, explain why you want to pursue a career in engineering or share an engineering concept that you find fascinating.

Ctrl + n and I were best friends, she let me hide my movie browsers as I "attended" class, Geometry was never fun anyway during quarantine. It led me to understand how computers work and the possibilities that come with them. Coding my first website was possibly the inspiration I needed to see the things knowledge can create. It established a level of trust between me and the knowledge I possess, further motivating me to learn to create and harbor new ideas. As a diabetic, I was lucky to leave Ethiopia, the rest not so much. What is already a 24/7 monitor and overwatch of my diabetes, only one can imagine life there. Thus the people I see there motivate me to help my brothers and sisters currently helpless with medication and available medical equipment. One engineering concept I find fascinating is Quantum Computing, as Quantum bits can exist in multiple states, and image the possibilities. Already it seems to me the biomedical advancements like the Dexcom I wear myself improve people's lives, and quantum computing can open new doors in better computing and research toward diabetes research.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15168  
Your presentation is highly confusing and difficult to understand because you are trying to respond to several questions within a limited word count. The best approach this this statement is to pick the focus of discussion for your response. That was you can use all of the allowable word count to develop a very clear and understandable explanation. The reviewer will not expect you to respond to all the possible scenarios provided. Rather, he will expect you to choose one aspect of the discussion and then focus your response of fully explaining why you chose to respond to that topic. Doing so will create a highly understandable and relevant response statement for his consideration.
OP Bandup123 1 / 1  
Changed it up

Engineering was never my top pick, my initial interest was medicine which stemmed from the adoration to my endocrinologist and a few episodes from Grey's Anatomy. My endocrinologist's support and commitment to guide me to understand and manage my diabetes showed me the support I could give other people. Being diabetic, I used to always prick the tip of my fingers, a habit I loathed of, however, my discovery of a CGM changed that. A CGM is a continous glucose monitor system, a sensor inserted under the skin right in the interstitial fluid, a fluid with a role of transporting nutrients and oxygen. With a coin sized sensor, a necessary evil and painful routine was abolished from my routine, leaving me at awe of the possibilities of engineering. From that day, my aspirations changed from endocronologist to Bio-Tech and Computer Science, imagining what else the field holds in innovation. What perplexed me was the Microelectromechanical Systems(MEMS) embedded on the hair which use electrodes coated with enzyme called glucose oxidase, which made a reaction generating a electrical signal in regards to glucose level.

Home / Undergraduate / Applying to Columbia University Undergrad Fly-In Program for the school of Engineering,
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: