"Biology, to answer that question" - Why Georgetown?

CDDSR 1 / 2  
Prompt: Please relate your interest in studying at Georgetown University to your goals. How do these thoughts relate to your chosen course of study?

A red rose blossoming in the grass...
Some may see it as a gift for someone special or, to others, a nice lawn decoration. But what do I see? I see the wonder that is nature. I see billions of cellular reactions interacting as a harmonious symphony of life. From the energy-producing mitochondria in the cell to the almost gravity defying movement of water in the phloem, I see it all. I see the reasons for how and why things happen and intend to answers those questions further.

Biology, the study of life in all its forms, is to me the most intriguing of all sciences. It is the study of life from the simple organelles of a cell to the entire biosphere of Earth. Even in my grade school years I can remember being fascinated by the various intricacies within the human body down to the molecular level. And this fascination has never left me, as any of my friends will tell you. Appropriately, I intend to major in Biology through Georgetown College.

Before I had even visited Georgetown University, listened to the information sessions, and spoken with representatives, I knew that Georgetown was a spectacular school. In particular, I had heard quite a lot about the exceptional science department and the post-graduate medical school. And with a new science center to be completed during my sophomore year, the quality and extent of education that Georgetown provides only increases my desire and ability to learn about biology in an effective and accelerated environment. Georgetown University is synonymous with its extensive scientific research, a critical aspect in advancing scientific inquiry for students. In becoming a true biologist, true scientific inquiry is needed and Georgetown provides this at an exceptional level.

Studying to become a Biology major at Georgetown University helps to provide answers to scientific hypotheses from both autonomous research as well as faculty-initiated learning. A school such as Georgetown provides exactly the right conditions to learn and study the nature of the humanity on the most basic level. From this newfound knowledge, I hope to develop new understandings on the relationship between intracranial functions and the development of the human body as well as neurological and organism development. If not for the rest of the world to understand, it is for me to have the satisfaction of knowing "how" cellular interactions affect life at an almost inconceivable level. And Georgetown University, with its profound research and extensive learning experience, will not only answer that question of "how", but will teach me to answer that question on my own as a true biologist.
CMSpence5 1 / 1  
Watch for repetitiveness, "true biologist". You can be a biologist anywhere, saying it that way almost sounds like an insult to other schools.

I really enjoyed the beginning, good anecdote into your Biology theme.
You may want to add a little more to the end. Your last few sentences seem abrupt, and almost an after thought. Keep in mind that Georgetown is the topic of the essay, not just Biology!
Some may see it as a gift for someone special, and others might perceive a nice lawn decoration. But what do I see? I see the wonder that is nature.

reactions interacting ----I think this needs to be revised sighty... Reactions interacting does not seem right.

I see it all---You say you see it, but in order to validate what you say it is imporatnt to tell a little about what you experienced that made you soaware of biology. Was it a particular book you read?

Georgetown University is synonymous with its extensive scientific research---here is anothe sentence that needs to be revised. It can be celebrated for its scientific resource, but it is not synonymous with it.

Okay, some people study bio to become doctors. Others study it to become biologists with particular specializations. I think if you are serious about it you must have a plan for your future work... subjects you want to explore, challenges you want to meet for tbe good of society, etc. So... how about some discussion of your particular niche in the field?

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Biology, to answer that question" - Why Georgetown?