'calculating definite integrals' - Rhetorical Analysis in a STEM World; [UC Prompt 1]

snobbyrobby831 1 / 2  
Prompt: Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

-------------------

Growing up, the world of mathematics and science has always intrigued me. I have always preferred to calculate definite integrals rather than talk about the Gilded Age, and I will choose to read about NASA's latest discoveries over Shakespearean sonnets any day of the week. I felt I could delve into the concepts of Calculus and Newtonian Physics more easily than Carnegie's Gospel of Wealth and Shakespeare's iambic pentameter. I saw myself devoted to the fields pertaining to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) and aspired to pursue a career where I could apply my fascination into the field of engineering. When I walked into AP English Language & Composition at the start of my junior year, however, I realized my interests and passions were not exclusive to just math or science; I soon learned my world also comprised of rhetorical analysis as well.

My teacher defined a rhetorical analysis as a criticism and identification of the rhetorical strategies utilized by the author to achieve a desired effect: to persuade, inform, or entertain. I incorrectly assumed that rhetorical analysis would parallel the methods of analysis of graphs or free-body diagrams so on my first rhetorical analysis essay I struggled. Given complete freedom in an analytical situation, I panicked and consequently hit writer's block. I have been used to analyzing data within the constraints of physics, not analyzing non-fictional prose within the constraints of my own judgment. As one could probably infer, I did not do well on that essay. Resilient, I immediately became determined to improve and conquer the rhetorical analysis, partly because to remove the atrocious grade from my report card.

I quickly learned that rhetorical analysis required some unique critical thinking, different from an analysis of a pie chart or a position versus time graph. Rhetorical analysis did not require a single, definite answer; these essays often possessed a myriad of correct answers. I figured out that I needed to be open minded and impartial in order to view a piece of written work as a whole to see all the possibilities and applications of rhetoric. I also realized becoming more observant and scrutinizing every single, minute detail helped expand the extent of my analysis.

I progressively performed better in writing rhetorical analysis essays, and I managed to pass the class with an "A" and scored a 5 on the AP exam. Although these scores sounded great, the major takeaway from this course was how I applied my world of rhetorical analysis to my passion for academic excellence in STEM fields. Open mindedness and stellar observation proved useful in my Physics and Calculus classes; rather than focus solely on one aspect of a problem, I took a broader approach and analyzed all possibilities and trivial details, just as I had done with my rhetorical analysis essays. Rhetorical analyses could also contribute to finding solutions to scientific problems or trouble shooting technology by maintaining a broad focus and thoroughly examining all outcomes - again all components of a rhetorical analysis.

The world of rhetorical analysis has prepared me for upcoming math and science classes in college by encouraging me to staying open-minded and diligent. These two characteristics lead me order for me to succeed in writing a rhetorical analysis as well as solving any scientific inquiry. Ultimately, the process of a rhetorical analysis requires intellectual curiosity, a crucial aspect of anyone pursuing STEM. Rather than disparaging the two distinct worlds of academics, I let my intellectual curiosity take over and I incorporated elements of rhetorical analysis into my fascination of math and science. The application of rhetorical analysis increased my fervency with mathematics and physics.

--------------------
Thanks for reading my essay and I appreciate the feedback!
kalagang 1 / 5 1  
The content is good as is! I'm honestly blown away!

Rhetorical analyses could alsocontribute to finding solutions to scientific problems or trouble shooting technology by maintaining a broad focus and thoroughly examining all outcomes - again all components of a rhetorical analysis.

You can delete "could also" to solidify your claim and just add an s for contribute

overall, your essay is amazing :)
Hey Robby, this is really a unique essay. You did not go for the normal and expected route when responding to the prompt and, as expected, you managed to come up with a mind blowing essay in response to the prompt. It is highly insightful and delivers on all aspects of your development in a world that most people do not even think exists. This is not just an essay, it is an eye opening essay.

My only concern is that you might have gone too far in your discussion because there are times when the essay already carries a personal statement type of feel to it. You need to keep that type of discussion away from this essay and just deliver the necessary points related to your rhetorical development in the STEM field. In my opinion, there is a paragraph that can actually be deleted in order to keep the tight focus of your essay and allow for the complete development of your personality in the world you are depicting.

Consider if the paragraph that shares :

"My teacher defined a rhetorical analysis as a criticism and identification of the rhetorical strategies utilized by the author to achieve a desired effect: to persuade, inform, or entertain. I incorrectly assumed that rhetorical analysis would parallel the methods of analysis of graphs or free-body diagrams so on my first rhetorical analysis essay I struggled."

is actually important to the essay. That whole paragraph does not seem to have the same impact or share as much information as the paragraph below it. I feel that removing the aforementioned paragraph will help improve the content and presentation of your essay. Not that your current essay is bad, but just like all other essays, it still has room for improvement :-)

Home / Undergraduate / 'calculating definite integrals' - Rhetorical Analysis in a STEM World; [UC Prompt 1]