The Cold War - STANFORD SUPPLEMENT: Intellectual Vitality

adatiger96 4 / 7 1  
PROMPT: Stanford students possess an intellectual vitality. Reflect on an idea or experience that has been important to your intellectual development.

"Under what presidency did the War of 1812 take place?" Mrs.Costello asked looking around the classroom. "Does anyone know the answer?" All eyes turn towards me, expecting me to answer. I was about to jump out of my seat with the answer. "Monroe!" Heads turned towards the back of the classroom to the unfamiliar voice of the new student. For the remaining 20 minutes, AP US History was a competition about who could correctly answer the most questions. The key players were me and the new kid, Lucas from Arizona.

This lighthearted back and forth stopped being about who knew more about the Cold War. There was a moment when I started to evaluate the way I was perceived by my classmates. While, I had never hesitate to answer a question or voice my opinions in class, others in my class did.

"Last question! Who is the author of Silent Spring?" I didn't answer. At that moment I realized my intellectual development would only go as far as those who shared my excitement for learning. My attempts to participate had unknowingly created an environment where I was the sole participant. The only way that I could grow as an individual was if my classmates were equally invested in their intellectual development as I was. Lucas looked at me. There was an understanding that this "battle" was over. "Lucas? Adora?" It was silent until two voices, very distinct from each other accidentally harmonized, "Rachel Carson."
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Once again, this is not intellectual vitality. Please take a look at my past posts on this topic. What you are essentially saying here is that your intellectual vitality is tied to those in your class and around you. If they are not aiming higher neither would you. Your intellectual vitality should not depend on anyone else - This is the complete opposite of what you should say to Stanford. -Admissions Advice Online

Home / Undergraduate / The Cold War - STANFORD SUPPLEMENT: Intellectual Vitality