"DREAM Act; reach a logical stance" - CommonApp Issues of importance

ltpvan 5 / 35  
Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you.

My father would always remind me that all of mankind's achievements began with a simple observation. When I was young, his words were a childish reminder, chiding me when I tripped and fell. However, after we arrived in America, I began to understand the full extent of my father's words. Back home, my world was diverse. My life collided with many people's lives, and their news became my news In America, the only people in my world were mom and my brother. To compensate, I've learned to observe both the inside and the outside of my personal bubble.

Once I began to extend my observations, I became more aware of new legislation and national issues, especially those related to immigration. One such issue is the DREAM Act, a proposed legislation that will greatly impact immigrant youth like me. Whether immigrant children came here legally or illegally, we are still children whose lives changed drastically because of our parent's decisions. Already culturally assimilated, illegal immigrant children face being deported "home", being foreign to the land and the language. To further complicate the debate, these children shall also tackle an identity crisis amidst an already confusing time of their life. Thus, the DREAM Act proposes they earn the rights to remain in the U.S. through two years of college education or military service. While I can empathize with the plight of illegal immigrant children, I oppose the DREAM Act.

Escaping social and political turmoil, immigrants arrive in America seeking freedom and opportunity. America became the most ideal country, attracting waves of immigrants, because of her superior society that emphasize and value civil freedom and rights. To preserve this society, the law must be diligently enforced. Many believe that America should pardon illegal immigrants simply because America is known to be the "melting pot," founded on immigration. While the combination of multiple spices and ingredients provides a dish's its layers and depths, we must follow a recipe to prevent chaos. In 1986, the U.S. had granted amnesty to all illegal immigrants. However, failure to strictly enforce the law on illegal immigrants arriving after 1986 had led the U.S. into a deeper immigration problem, one with conflicting social, economical, and political aspects. Yes, it's true that the older generation did not have to produce "papers," but they were not also entitled to social programs such as public education that give every child an education.

Even though I oppose the DREAM Act, I still believe in second chances for illegal immigrant youth; rather, I oppose the implementation of the bill amidst the time of economic downfall and immigration chaos. Much like the 1986 amnesty, the DREAM Act is short term solution that doesn't help reform immigration policy in the long run. Other prevention measure must be effectively implemented first.

To reach a logical stance, I approached this issue observing both the inside and the outside of my personal bubble. Inside, my immigrant background entices me to support the DREAM Act. Outside, I saw great disadvantages in it. In dealing with issues littered with conflicting social, economical, and political, both the lawmakers and their constituents must approach the problems free from emotional stigmas and fictitious statements. Millions of young lives will be affected, and the only decision that will suffice is one coming from nothing less of just and logic. (554 words)

All comments are welcome, especially those concerning content and structure. Thanks :D
myekay 2 / 1  
This is honest and pure.

I enjoy how you approached such a complicated topic that relates to you. The honesty is also quite amazing. You did a fine job elaborating how the Dream Act has its disadvantages and how you saw it from your immigrant perspective and a logical perspective.

And to be honest, I found no grammar, or syntax errors!

This is amazing! Good job! :)
blind527 7 / 34  
"Much like the 1986 amnesty, the DREAM Act is a short- term solution that doesn't help reform immigration policy in the long run. Other prevention measure must be effectively implemented first."

I think you should have a hyphen in "short-term." Good essay. It's very strong. I could not find any other grammar mistakes!
CrimeanGurl 1 / 17  
Thanks for reviewing my essay, Van

I absolutely loved this! It is extremely well written, and I could not spot a single error. What makes this essay particularly great, in my opinion, is that you are able to draw on your own experience, which makes it more powerful than if it was just argumentative.

Very well done
ecordo5 4 / 29  
Very well done, but in reality, the DREAM ACT is actually beneficial to this society and just. In fact, I am an undocumented student and would have benefited from it if it did pass.

Home / Undergraduate / "DREAM Act; reach a logical stance" - CommonApp Issues of importance