international charity, personal Issue of Importance Essay

aridnepenthe 3 / 9  
My second required essay, all comments and criticism are welcome!

Thanks in advance :)

Prompt:

Choose an issue of importance to you - the issue could be personal, school related, local, political, or international in scope - and write an essay in which you explain the significance of that issue to yourself, your family, your community, or your generation.

Essay:

More often than not, it is only until after a crisis occurs that we feel inclined to support those in need. On January 12, 2010, the impoverished city of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, nestled amongst the grandeur of the Caribbean witnessed itself falling, shattered by an unstoppable natural force - a situation so perilous that it ultimately took lives long after the earthquake had ceased. Such devastation left thousands of the destitute citizens in need of relief. But why could we not have helped the financially unstable Haitians before the earthquake occurred? We were well informed of their economic turmoil and need for additional support, yet we chose to act only after a catastrophe crumbled their community. In such instances, I believe that the humanitarian movement is perhaps the greatest of offers we have to give in making a positive impact whether from the frontline or from across the sea.

I believe that every man, woman, and child plays a role in the development of the world we know. Our differences in geography prevent us from truly understanding such a concept many of times. As humans across the globe, we share our contributions - whether given long ago or just recently - which help to strengthen the sense of community that keeps us protected. As we are no longer afraid to cross national boundaries, we all share a common dwelling on this planet and recognize that there are, indeed, many others to consider. According to humanitarian Tony Vaux, the notion of humanitarianism applies to both war and general disaster, and is based on the standard that "in extreme cases of human suffering, external agents may offer assistance to people in need" But why only in "extreme" cases? What's stopping us from helping others based on genuine compassion?

When my parents fled the political riots in their home country of Guyana in the early 1980's, they arrived in Texas with a sparse amount of American currency and just two pieces of luggage. As illegal immigrants, they were unable to find decent work, although my father had been an inspector for the U.S. Embassy in Guyana. It was not until a wealthy oil tycoon from Houston decided to take them in that they were once again experiencing a stable living situation. Mr. Calloway hired them as his personal attendants, granting them a deluxe suite in his twenty-first floor penthouse. Apart from providing my parents with room and board, he paid them an hourly wage, took them shopping for designer clothing, provided them with a personal escort, and even hired a private physician to attend to their medical needs - luxuries that even his own wife did not boast. He then sponsored citizenship for my older brothers who had been left behind with my mother's sister in Guyana.

Mr. Calloway's philanthropic endowments have been my greatest example of the importance of humanitarianism. Without the humanitarian efforts that my parents were lucky enough to experience, they would most likely have been abused, prosecuted and then deported. Upon hearing the story of my parents' hardships as American immigrants, I have sworn to make a difference in the universal humanitarian movement, including the local level. It saddens me that many people feel that in order to help someone; a disaster must have taken place beforehand. There are many in need of aid that should not be ignored just because they have not suffered from extreme catastrophe.

As an aspiring anthropologist, I hope that my field of study will allow me to gain a better understanding of the way cultures accept international charity, as well as the opportunity to provide for those around the globe. I also wish to someday establish a non-profit, non-governmental foundation that will raise awareness for the benefit of every one in need, whether they are a part of our regional community or located on another continent. In doing so, I would not only be setting an example of the true ethic of humanitarianism, but I would be encouraging others to follow suit.
More often than not, it is only until after a Oftentimes, we need the occurrence of a crisis to remind us of how important it is that we feel inclined to support those in need. On January 12, 2010, the impoverished city of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, nestled amongst the grandeur...

I changed that opening sentence, because it seemed not-quite-right. "only until after" is not right, and I think it was just a little unclear.

We don't really "give offers":
In such instances, I believe that the humanitarian movement is perhaps the greatest of offers we have to give in example of our effort to make a positive impact whether from the frontline or from across the sea.

Nice! I love your conclusion that the plans you have for the future. I think this essay will be a big success.
OP aridnepenthe 3 / 9  
Thank you Kevin!

I made the suggested corrections and I agree with you, I believe that the opening statement was quite rocky.

Home / Undergraduate / international charity, personal Issue of Importance Essay